[JPL] Under 40...

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 8 17:54:41 EST 2007

It's easier to teach a jazz fan how to do a radio show than it is to
teach a DJ much about jazz.  I've found a good potential source for
radio show hosts under 40, hell, under 20, is from high school or
college jazz studies programs.   My home area (Seattle) is probably
exceptional in that it has at last a dozen high school jazz bands that
compete on a national level - 3 are going to Essentially Ellington at
Jazz @ Lincoln Center this year.   These kids really know quite a bit
about the history of jazz and are usually also quite conversant with
contemporary pop music.... it's no stretch for them to hear Brad
Mehldau playing Radiohead.

Anyone looking for a younger slant on jazz programming would do well to
check with the band instructors at high school and college jazz
programs about students who might like to get involved in radio.  Some
have turned me on to new things I would have missed otherwise, and
they've filled me in about contemporary pop tunes that show up in jazz
repertoire.  Late teens and early twenties also spend a lot of time
cruising internet stations and come across a lot of material outside
normal channels that might fit a "jazz" show, too.

Mutual respect across the generations yields great results for both
sides of any imagined "gap".

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org