[JPL] PLAYLIST: JzFmS4 WGBH Boston 3/9/07

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Fri Mar 9 23:49:02 EST 2007

Friday, March 9, 8pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7

CELEBRATING ORNETTE COLEMAN (b. 3/7/1930)

8:00pm
THEME: Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05pm
Jimmy Scott; @ RegattaBar, Cambridge 3/8/2007: They Say It's Wonderful,
Falling in Love is Wonderful (Tangerine/Rhino)
Little Jimmy Scott: Everybody's Somebody's Fool,
Everybody's Somebody's Fool (Decca/GRP)
Jimmy Scott: Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child,
All of Me/Live in Tokyo (Venus)

8:27pm
Robert Glasper: One for 'Grew, In My Element (Blue Note)
Mulgrew Miller: If I Should Lose You,
Live at The Kennedy Center Volume One (MaxJazz)
Danny Grissett: Eleventh Hour (comp, Mulgrew Miller), Promise (Criss Cross)

8:52pm
Ornette Coleman: Ramblin', Beauty is A Rare Thing (Atlantic Rhino)
Ornette Coleman: Una Muy Bonita, Beauty is A Rare Thing (Atlantic Rhino)
Ornette Coleman: Turnaround, Sound Grammar (Sound Grammar)

9:13pm
Matt Wilson's Arts and Crafts: Rejoicing (Ornette), Scenic Route (Palmetto)
Helen Merrill: Lonely Woman (Ornette), A Shade of Difference (EmArcy)
Buddy DeFranco: Blues Connotation (Ornette), Blues Bag (Blue Moon)

9:29pm
Marc Copeland: Yesterdays, New York Trio Recordings: Midinha (Pirouet)
Marc Copeland; Randy Brecker: The Sidewinder (L. Morgan),
Both/And (Nagel Heyer)
Joey DeFrancesco: Ceora (L. Morgan), Live: The Authorized B ootleg (Concor)

9:56pm
Charlie Haden; Quartet West: The Good Life (Ornette), Quartet West (Verve)

10:06pm
Ornette Coleman: Jayne, Something Else (Contemporary)
Ornette Coleman; and Prime Time: Guadalupe, Tone Dialing (Verve)
Ornette Coleman: Embraceable You, Beauty is A Rare Thing (Atlantic Rhino)

10:26pm
John Coltrane; Don Cherry: The Blessing (Ornette),
The Avant-Garde (Atlantic)
String Trio of New York: Peace (Ornette), Intermobility (Arabesque)
Pee Wee Russell: Turnaround (Ornette), Ask Me Now! (Impulse)

10:49pm
The Stryker/Slagle Band: Self Portrait in Three Colors,
Latest Outlook (Zoho)
Charles Mingus: Memories of You, East Coasting (Bethleham)
Pete Zimmer: The Mingus That I Knew, Judgement (Tippin' Records)

11:10pm
Kenny Werner: Uncovered Heart, Lawn Chair Society (Blue Note)
Ari Hoenig: Without Within, Inversations (Dreyfus)
Tim Hagans: Space Dozen, Beautiful Lily (Pirouet)

11:36pm
Bobby Broom: Can't Buy Me Love (Lennon-McCartney), Song and Dance (Origin)
Dena DeRose: Imagine (Lennon), A Walk in The Park (MaxJazz)
Beatle Jazz: Fool on The Hill (Lennon-McCartney), All You Need (Lightyear)

11:53pm
Ornette Coleman: Beauty is A Rare Thing,
Beauty is A Rare Thing (Atlantic Rhino)