[JPL] Kerouac and Bird

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Mon Mar 12 14:56:33 EDT 2007

Lenny,

You bring up the Baroness.

I remember going to see Barry Harris' trio at The Angry Squire in NYC. It
was on 7th Avenue, just below 23rd Street. Must have been the mid 1980s. I
know Leroy Williams was playing drums but I don't remember the bassist. I do
remember pianist Gil Coggins sitting in the house, enjoying Barry's music as
we all were.
The set ended and I found my self walking towards the front door behind a
rather short woman with the longest full length mink coat  I had ever seen.
If she were any smaller, the coat would have been dragging on the floor.
As we walked out into the street there was a huge silver Bentley double
parked. She opened the back door, got in and it drove away. I knew then that
it was the Baroness.
Monk wasn't the only one to honor  her with a song:

Nica's Tempo by Gigi Gryce
Nica's Dream by Horace Silver
Nica by Sonny clark
Tonica  by Kenny Dorham