[JPL] Next Week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Mar 15 10:01:56 EDT 2007

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
This Sunday March 25th will be another Premier Sunday with six new releases here on Beyond Jazz as we open up another can of incredible new grooves and serve them up to you!

First, it’s a new release from legendary guitarist Joe Beck with bassist Santi Dibriano and drummer Thierry Arpino for their new one titled “Tri07.” It’s a collection of Joe’s own compositions and his version of classics from the likes of John Coltrane in a powerful, groove-oriented trio setting.

Then, it’s the new sound of Australian MOJA from the Alister Spence Trio and a new thing titled “Mercury.”

You’ve heard some of the latest from Japanese-born pianist Hiromi and her new one titled “Time Control” on The MOJA Report with Mark Ruffin.  Well, get ready to hear more of this hot, new keyboardist and special guest, guitarist David Fiuczynski this Sunday night.

You’ll hear some cool, new Latin jazz from San Francisco bay-area trombonist Wayne Wallace who learned a lesson or two about making Afro-Cuban music at the National School of the Arts in Havana.  He’ll share some of those lessons with music from his new CD “The Reckless Search For Beauty.”

We’ll follow that with the brilliant new sounds created by an international quintet led by Eric Truffaz & Ilhan Ersahin.  It’s Ersahin, Truffaz, Madsen, Ruechert & Penman and their new one “Our Theory.”

Then we’ll close it out with one of Michelle Sammartino’s recent discoveries first heard on her “Jammin’ Jazz” show, it’s Up Bustle & Out with a rare, new project from a “Pre Ninja Series Digital Download.”

Listen for cuts from these six new releases beginning at 10 PM Eastern/7 PM Pacific, right after THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN on another Premier Sunday…part of The Sunday Specials, from XM 72, Beyond Jazz.
XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (19-25 March, 2006)

This Monday, March 19th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of one of the most popular guitarists and vocalists in jazz history during his birthday week. It’s the man from Pittsburgh, GEORGE BENSON! You’ll hear the story of his incredible life and career and a full hour of his wonderful music as we celebrate one of America’s most beloved artists just three days before his birthday. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday nights at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific, and this week it’s GEORGE BENSON!

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino.   Only here will you get "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes in one spot for one hour and you can hear JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eas tern-4P Pacific. It’s JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION with Michelle Sammartino!  This week Michelle features the premier of the long-awaited new release “What Happened To TV?” by The Greyboy All-Stars, plus some cool, funky remixes, more from newcomers Times 4 & Organ Donors, some classic Stanton Moore and another cut from Michelle’s latest fave, Will Bernard’s “Party Hats!”

This week it’s EASTWARD HO! on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll look to the East, and we ain’t talkin’ New York, we’re talking India, Pakistan and Israel , for hot, live music.  First, you’ll hear for the first time an unbelievable band from Jerusalem, TIZMORET, with non-stop rhythm and unique instrumentation.  Believe me, you’ve never heard anything like this before!  We’ll follow that with FAREED HAQUE, revealing his Pakistani heritage in a hot live performance with his great band GARAJ MAHAL, then close it out with JOHN McLAUGHLIN & SHAKTI featuring those two major talents from India, L. SHANKAR and ZAKIR HUSSAIN.  It’s EASTWARD HO, on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fus ion Era. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece and get the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN! This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join the newest voice on Beyond Jazz, award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin in our studios in Chicago as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT , Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark gives you a special presentation he calls “The Vocal Work Of Pat Metheny” featuring music by Anna Maria Jopek, Joni Mitchell, Kurt Elling and more surprises!

On Saturday, March 24th, Beyond Jazz presents another edition of “WORDS & MUSIC” as we focus on a very fruitful collaboration between two of the major figures in jazz today with a special presentation we simply call “METHENY MEHLDAU.” These two young masters of modern jazz, Pat Metheny and Brad Mehldau, surprised their fans, and even their record company Nonesuch, with a spirited collaboration in 2006 and then decided to continue the work they’d started with a new follow-up titled “QUARTET,” that includes the efforts of drummer Jeff Ballard and bassist Larry Grenadier, who’ll join in on the conversation to tell us more about the project. It all starts at Noon and lasts through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).  It’s “METHENY MEHLDAU,” a celebration of two of the greats of jazz today, on this week’s edition of “WORDS & MUSIC.”

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing reques ted songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.
Russ Davis (russ.davis at xmradio.com)
Program Director/XM 72-Beyond Jazz
XM Satellite Radio