[JPL] Stephen Riley - "Easy To Remember"

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 13:52:18 EDT 2007

Bob Rogers hooked me up with this disc and it's smokin. Stephen Riley is a saxophonist and the CD is the chord-less trio.....with sax, bass and drums - titled "Easy To Remember." Neal Caine is playing bass and Jason Marsalis drums. It's released on Steeple Chase and I'm not sure if it was serviced to radio as a whole but it's certainly worth finding out how to get it. Perhaps Bob can share on the list this info. I think it should be heard. Definitely.

  It's always a risk...particularly in radio.... to have an ensemble like this because there isn't a chordal instrument - such as piano or guitar. Listeners at times have a hard time hearing "lines" solely. That said the interplay between the three creates a sound that is bigger than the trio. Neal's harmonic understanding enables him to take care of enough of the harmonic textures that you don't miss the piano. Stephen's sound is unique. Melodic, interesting and he is a strong enough soloist that he can carry the trio without having chordal support. The CD swings like crazy and without question this is Jason Marsalis' best recording to date. Loose, creative and time perfect. I'm sure those that do get a chance to hear this will have it on their playlist very quickly. Hook um up Bob.

  Jae Sinnett