[JPL] Stephen Riley - "Easy To Remember"

Manuel Jorge Veloso mjveloso at netcabo.pt
Fri Mar 16 15:29:55 EDT 2007


Jae, I'm sorry, I'm ready to blow the smoke that comes out of my gun. In 
fact, I'm doing that in this minute!

Regards,

Manuel Jorge Veloso

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jae Sinnett" <jaejazz at yahoo.com>
To: "Jazz Programmers Mailing List" <jazzproglist at jazzweek.com>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 7:07 PM
Subject: Re: [JPL] Stephen Riley - "Easy To Remember"


> This Week's JPL Sponsor: SUMMIT RECORDS
>
>
> Manuel, I think you mis-understood me. Personally, no I don't "think 
> twice" but in reference to the average jazz listener the chord-less trio 
> sounds somewhat empty to them - in general. For their ears something is 
> missing. That was my point. You don't represent the average jazz listener. 
> I've experienced this in my jazz classes and with listeners....testing 
> them and just about each and every time they say "something sounds 
> missing" if I play something that is "chordless." What's funny and 
> interesting at the same time is that many don't know what it is that's 
> missing. You don't have to agree but it's a fact. The records you 
> mentioned.....with Sonny and Joe....are all fairly inside recordings and 
> in fact the Riley disc could probably be modeled after them so they're not 
> as much of a harmonic or rhythmic threat to the listener if you will. I 
> think you jumped the gun a bit here. I said I'm playing this disc not 
> keeping it from anyone. To the contrary, I'm encouraging folk to
> get the disc and play it because I know many don't have it.
>
>  Jae Sinnett
>
> Manuel Jorge Veloso <mjveloso at netcabo.pt> wrote:
>  This Week's JPL Sponsor: SUMMIT RECORDS
>
>
> Jae,
>
> You wrote (quote): "It's always a risk... particularly in radio... to have
> an ensemble like this [Stephen Riley, Neal Claine & Jason Marsalis] 
> because
> there isn't a chordal instrument - such as piano or guitar. Listeners at
> times have a hard time hearing 'lines' solely." (unquote)
>
> Do you mean... you think twice about playing or not playing... say... 
> master
> works from the Sonny Rollins' or Joe Henderson's marvelous trio albuns
> (without any chordal instrument)? How could you explain the "state of the
> tenor" to your listeners? Plus: don't we have to try to surpass the 
> laziness
> of the listener?
>
> Just imagine a classic music radio channel like the one where I produce my
> jazz program! What about string quartets by Bartok? Are they solely a 
> bunch
> of "lines"? Do we have to play, instead, just quintets (with piano) by
> Beethoven? I'm sorry but I can't agree with you.
>
> Regards,
>
> Manuel Jorge Veloso
> (Portuguese Public Radio Jazz Programmer)
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Jae Sinnett"
> To: "Jazz Programmers Mailing List"
> Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 5:52 PM
> Subject: [JPL] Stephen Riley - "Easy To Remember"
>
>
>> This Week's JPL Sponsor: SUMMIT RECORDS
>>
>>
>> Bob Rogers hooked me up with this disc and it's smokin. Stephen Riley is 
>> a
>> saxophonist and the CD is the chord-less trio.....with sax, bass and
>> drums - titled "Easy To Remember." Neal Caine is playing bass and Jason
>> Marsalis drums. It's released on Steeple Chase and I'm not sure if it was
>> serviced to radio as a whole but it's certainly worth finding out how to
>> get it. Perhaps Bob can share on the list this info. I think it should be
>> heard. Definitely.
>>
>> It's always a risk...particularly in radio.... to have an ensemble like
>> this because there isn't a chordal instrument - such as piano or guitar.
>> Listeners at times have a hard time hearing "lines" solely. That said the
>> interplay between the three creates a sound that is bigger than the trio.
>> Neal's harmonic understanding enables him to take care of enough of the
>> harmonic textures that you don't miss the piano. Stephen's sound is
>> unique. Melodic, interesting and he is a strong enough soloist that he 
>> can
>> carry the trio without having chordal support. The CD swings like crazy
>> and without question this is Jason Marsalis' best recording to date.
>> Loose, creative and time perfect. I'm sure those that do get a chance to
>> hear this will have it on their playlist very quickly. Hook um up Bob.
>>
>> Jae Sinnett
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------
>> Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check.
>> Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
>> -------------------------------------------
>> This Week's Sponsor: SUMMIT RECORDS
>> -------------------------------------------
>>
>> ON YOUR DESK THIS WEEK FROM SUMMIT RECORDS:
>>
>> TED HOWE ''Love Song'': The third release from Ted invites the listener
>> into a jazz time capsule of love songs. And as fans and critics alike
>> found with ''Ellington'' and ''Elton Exposed'', Howe's virtuosic piano
>> style and arrangements lead straight to surprise.
>>
>> Featuring the great jazz baritone Giacomo Gates and star of stage, screen
>> and television, Lainie Kazan on a couple of tunes, Ted Howe delivers a
>> beautiful recording of masterfully arranged standards (Arlen, Van Heusen,
>> Porter) and originals; a perfect mix of instrumentals and vocals.
>> http://www.summitrecords.com/product.tmpl?SKU=477
>>
>> BOB FLORENCE LIMITED EDITION ''Eternal Licks and Grooves'': Featuring
>> Peter Erskine, Carl Saunders and Scott Whitfield, this all-star big band
>> offers the listener what they have come to expect from the award-winning,
>> legendary bandleader Bob Florence - Sensitive yet powerful arrangements
>> with a HUGE sound that will put you on the edge of your seat. Spectacular
>> outing!
>>
>> Includes ''Eternal Licks and Grooves'' commissioned by ASCAP and IAJE
>> honoring Count Basie and ''Appearing In Cleveland'' commissioned by the 
>> LA
>> Jazz Institute honoring Stan Kenton.
>> http://www.summitrecords.com/product.tmpl?SKU=478
>>
>> Radio and print media promotion by Dr. Jazz, 800-955-4375,
>> drjazz at drjazz.com
>>
>>
>>
>> To become a sponsor contact Devon Murphy
>> at devon at jazzweek.com / 866-453-6401 x3 or Ed Trefzger at ed at jazzweek.com
>> / 866-453-6401 x1.
>>
>>
>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>
>> Send jazzproglist mailing list submissions to
>> jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
>>
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>> http://lists.jazzweek.com/mailman/listinfo/jazzproglist
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>> jazzproglist-request at jazzweek.com
>>
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>> jazzproglist-owner at jazzweek.com
>>
>> Delivered to: mjveloso at netcabo.pt
>>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------
> This Week's Sponsor: SUMMIT RECORDS
> -------------------------------------------
>
> ON YOUR DESK THIS WEEK FROM SUMMIT RECORDS:
>
> TED HOWE ''Love Song'': The third release from Ted invites the listener 
> into a jazz time capsule of love songs. And as fans and critics alike 
> found with ''Ellington'' and ''Elton Exposed'', Howe's virtuosic piano 
> style and arrangements lead straight to surprise.
>
> Featuring the great jazz baritone Giacomo Gates and star of stage, screen 
> and television, Lainie Kazan on a couple of tunes, Ted Howe delivers a 
> beautiful recording of masterfully arranged standards (Arlen, Van Heusen, 
> Porter) and originals; a perfect mix of instrumentals and vocals. 
> http://www.summitrecords.com/product.tmpl?SKU=477
>
> BOB FLORENCE LIMITED EDITION ''Eternal Licks and Grooves'': Featuring 
> Peter Erskine, Carl Saunders and Scott Whitfield, this all-star big band 
> offers the listener what they have come to expect from the award-winning, 
> legendary bandleader Bob Florence - Sensitive yet powerful arrangements 
> with a HUGE sound that will put you on the edge of your seat. Spectacular 
> outing!
>
> Includes ''Eternal Licks and Grooves'' commissioned by ASCAP and IAJE 
> honoring Count Basie and ''Appearing In Cleveland'' commissioned by the LA 
> Jazz Institute honoring Stan Kenton. 
> http://www.summitrecords.com/product.tmpl?SKU=478
>
> Radio and print media promotion by Dr. Jazz, 800-955-4375, 
> drjazz at drjazz.com
>
>
>
> To become a sponsor contact Devon Murphy
> at devon at jazzweek.com / 866-453-6401 x3 or Ed Trefzger at ed at jazzweek.com 
> / 866-453-6401 x1.
>
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Send jazzproglist mailing list submissions to
> jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://lists.jazzweek.com/mailman/listinfo/jazzproglist
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> jazzproglist-request at jazzweek.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> jazzproglist-owner at jazzweek.com
>
> Delivered to: jaejazz at yahoo.com
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Need Mail bonding?
> Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from Yahoo! Answers users.
> -------------------------------------------
> This Week's Sponsor: SUMMIT RECORDS
> -------------------------------------------
>
> ON YOUR DESK THIS WEEK FROM SUMMIT RECORDS:
>
> TED HOWE ''Love Song'':  The third release from Ted invites the listener 
> into a jazz time capsule of love songs.  And as fans and critics alike 
> found with ''Ellington'' and ''Elton Exposed'', Howe's virtuosic piano 
> style and arrangements lead straight to surprise.
>
> Featuring the great jazz baritone Giacomo Gates and star of stage, screen 
> and television, Lainie Kazan on a couple of tunes, Ted Howe delivers a 
> beautiful recording of masterfully arranged standards (Arlen, Van Heusen, 
> Porter) and originals; a perfect mix of instrumentals and vocals. 
> http://www.summitrecords.com/product.tmpl?SKU=477
>
> BOB FLORENCE LIMITED EDITION ''Eternal Licks and Grooves'':  Featuring 
> Peter Erskine, Carl Saunders and Scott Whitfield, this all-star big band 
> offers the listener what they have come to expect from the award-winning, 
> legendary bandleader Bob Florence - Sensitive yet powerful arrangements 
> with a HUGE sound that will put you on the edge of your seat.  Spectacular 
> outing!
>
> Includes ''Eternal Licks and Grooves'' commissioned by ASCAP and IAJE 
> honoring Count Basie and ''Appearing In Cleveland'' commissioned by the LA 
> Jazz Institute honoring Stan Kenton. 
> http://www.summitrecords.com/product.tmpl?SKU=478
>
> Radio and print media promotion by Dr. Jazz, 800-955-4375, 
> drjazz at drjazz.com
>
>
>
> To become a sponsor contact Devon Murphy
> at devon at jazzweek.com / 866-453-6401 x3 or Ed Trefzger at ed at jazzweek.com 
> / 866-453-6401 x1.
>
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Send jazzproglist mailing list submissions to
> jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://lists.jazzweek.com/mailman/listinfo/jazzproglist
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> jazzproglist-request at jazzweek.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> jazzproglist-owner at jazzweek.com
>
> Delivered to: mjveloso at netcabo.pt
> 




More information about the jazzproglist mailing list