[JPL] XM - Sirius Merger in the New Yorker

Rev. Bob 'Bob' Crispen revbob at crispen.org
Sat Mar 17 05:55:12 EDT 2007

The voices are telling me eflash17 at comcast.net said on 3/15/2007 7:19 PM:

> Satellite Sisters
>
> by James Surowiecki
>
> Thanks to an intellectual revolution
> that, over the past three decades, has transformed the way the
> government assesses mergers and monopolies, we may yet end up with
> only one satellite-radio provider in America. And, surprisingly, we
> may be all the better for it.

Alas, the article, apart from its rampant boosterism for bigger is
better corporations, fails to support a single one of its claims --
apart from identifying circumstances on the margins that might not be
*quite* as awful as critics fear.

The "intellectual revolution" Surowiecki talks about is simply the
decision by Republican and "pro-business" Democratic administrations not
to enforce anti-trust laws. In the case of the Clinton administration,
this was tempered by a reluctant willingness to prosecute the most
grossly foul instances of corporate abuse of the public's trust. As the
Bush administration showed by dropping the Microsoft case the moment
they took office, the policy of real conservatives is not to enforce
anti-trust laws at all.

Since when do we accept corporations not screwing us quite as hard as we
feared they might as a blessing?
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
revbob at crispen dot org

Violence is not a way of getting where you want to go, only more
quickly. Its existence changes your destination. If you use it, you had
better be prepared to find yourself in the kind of place it takes you
to. - hilzoy, Obsidian Wings