[JPL] Case Western Reserve University discovered that classical and soft jazz music played at 60-80 beats per minute induces sound sleep.

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 20 18:02:27 EDT 2007

http://www.playbillarts.com/news/article/6184.html

Thomas Quasthoff's Jazz Album Makes Billboard Classical Crossover Chart

By Matthew Westphal
March 19, 2007

Billboard magazine's classical crossover chart offered the big news in CD
sales last week, as a recording of jazz standards by bass-baritone Thomas
Quasthoff arrived on that best-seller list at no. 19.

Thomas Quasthoff ‹ The Jazz Album, subtitled "Watch What Happens," features
such American popular standards as "My Funny Valentine," "Accentuate the
Positive," and "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" (from My Fair Lady).

The one new entrant to the Billboard classical chart last week, at no. 20,
was Romance, an EMI Classics release featuring cellist Han-Na Chang with the
Orchestra dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia (Rome's main orchestra)
under Antonio Pappano. The disc features the Cello Concerto of Edouard Lalo,
along with shorter works by Glazunov, Saint-Saëns, Dvorák, Tchaikovsky and
Casals.

Returning to the chart were Hilary Hahn's recording of violin concertos by
Paganini and Sphor (no. 12); My Magic Flute, James Galway's collection of
Mozart works (no. 23); and Bedtime Beats: The Secret to Sleep (no. 24), a
Rhino Records compilation billed as "the first classical music collection
available as a true sleep remedy, an effective alternative to medication ...
created to meet the needs of more than 40 million sleep sufferers ...
carefully programmed in accordance with recent research from Case Western
Reserve University which discovered that classical and soft jazz music
played at 60-80 beats per minute induces sound sleep." The disc spent
several months on the chart last fall and winter.

Yo-Yo Ma's Appassionato returned to no. 1 last week after having been
displaced by Songs From the Labyrinth, Sting's John Dowland album, the
previous week. (Appassionato had been at the top of the chart, displacing
Labyrinth, ever since its mid-January release.) Sting's DVD/CD set The
Journey and the Labyrinth: The Music of John Dowland, remains at no. 3,
followed by Joshua Bell's Voice of the Violin and soprano Anna Netrebko's
The Russian Album. Yundi Li's recording of Chopin and Liszt piano concertos
climbed from 11th to sixth place (up from 20th two weeks before), nudging
the late Lorraine Hunt Lieberson's recording of her husband's Neruda Songs
to no. 7.

Quasthoff's jazz disc wasn't the only new arrival on Billboard's classical
crossover chart last week. Other newcomers included Siren (no. 16), a disc
of popular songs and arias by the duo Sasha & Shawna (sopranos Sasha Lazard
and Shawna Stone), and From My Heart (no. 25), a collection of film score
themes and other songs by soprano Giorgia Fumanti. The Celtic Tenors'
Remember Me re-entered the chart at no. 18.

The crossover chart's top 10 last week remained more or less as it has for
the past month or two, with Josh Groban's Awake at no. 1, Sarah Brightman's
Diva: The Singles Collection at no. 10, and three CDs each by Il Divo and
Andrea Bocelli, Gospel Goes Classical by Juanita Bynum and Jonathan Butler,
and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's show tunes album in between.