[JPL] Piano trios

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Tue Mar 20 21:01:29 EDT 2007

I wanted to give you a heads up on new piano CD that I dig.

Just finished an interview with pianist Mike Kocour who's new CD "Speaking
in Tongues" is a refreshing romp through some Monk.  It's always a challenge
to hear a new take on some old favorites, but I LOVE it when it's done
right.  Kocour keeps it simple but adds enough of himself to make it
interesting.  He recently did a spot on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz.  I
got to hear the two of them together live here in Phoenix and the interplay
was just breathtaking, everyone on the edge of their seats, and cheering
loudly when the harmonic challenges tossed back and forth between them were
met with  surprises and even a little humor.
Any one else have an opinion on the new Kocour CD, what did you think of
this one?

Also did you hear the Glaspar interview on npr's ATC today?  I think the
interviews help us give the listeners more dimension to what they are
hearing.

Blaise Lantana
Music Director
KJZZ Phoenix