[JPL] 'The Happiest Man in the World' (Neutrino is the only man ever to build a raft from garbage he found on the streets of New York and sail it across the North Atlantic.

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 21 13:34:00 EDT 2007

Hello lovely people,

I would like to tell you a little bit about this documentary I am in.

Perhaps you've heard of a little band I've been involved with called the
Flying Neutrinos?  Well, this band actually started in 1983 as a traveling
family band when I was seven years old.  (Notice the little squirt of a
trombone player in the photo!)  And believe me, playing New Orleans music
and jazz standards was just about the tamest thing the family has ever
done!  It involved a rag tag group of adults and children, some related and
some not, being led through a very alternative lifestyle by a charismatic
(and troubled) leader.

Well, a few years ago a couple of filmmakers were given all of our home
movies and they made it their mission to get this story out to the
dumbfounded public.  Random Lunacy is the result.  It centers mostly around
Poppa Neutrino (the bearded one), but I was interviewed a couple of times,
and there is a good bit of footage of me and other kids living a life that
is as far from ordinary as one can imagine.

As well as the film, there is a book recently released by Random House about
Poppa Neutrino by Alec Wilkinson, a regular contributor to The New Yorker
magazine.  It is called "The Happiest Man in The World
<http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781588366009> ".
This review
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/18/books/review/Kamiya2.t.html?ex=1174881600
&en=e0ebd2dcc4b8324b&ei=5070&emc=eta1>  by the New York Times will give you
an inkling as to who the main character is.

This documentary is quite interesting and I hope you get a chance to check
it out, and no, this is not an April Fool's prank.

TODD LONDAGIN/

The Happiest Man in the World
An Account of the Life of Poppa Neutrino
Written by Alec Wilkinson

Category: Biography & Autobiography; Travel - Adventure
Format: eBook
On Sale: March 13, 2007
Price: $17.95
ISBN: 978-1-58836-600-9 (1-58836-600-6)
Imprint: Random House
Also available as a hardcover.
ABOUT THIS BOOK
The Happiest Man in the World buoyantly describes seventy-four-year-old
David Pearlman, a restless and migratory soul, a mariner, a musician, a
member of the Explorers Club and a friend of the San Francisco Beats, a
former preacher and sign painter, a polymath, a pauper, and a football
strategist for the Red Mesa Redskins of the Navajo Nation. When Pearlman was
fifty, he was bitten on the hand by a dog in Mexico and for two years got so
sick that he thought he would die. When he recovered, he felt so different
that he decided he needed a new name. He began calling himself Poppa
Neutrino, after the itinerant particle that is so small it can hardly be
detected. To Neutrino, the particle represents the elements of the hidden
life that assert themselves discreetly.

Inspired by Thor Heyerdahl and Kon-Tiki, Neutrino is the only man ever to
build a raft from garbage he found on the streets of New York and sail it
across the North Atlantic.
The New York Daily News described the accomplishment as ³the sail of the
century.² National Geographic broadcast an account of the trip as part of
its series on extreme adventures. And now he is on a quest to cross the
Pacific on a raft. If he makes it, he plans to continue around the world. No
one has ever sailed around the world on a raft. Meanwhile, he has invented
the Neutrino Clock Offense, an unstoppable football play, which a former
coach of the New York Jets describes as being as innovative as the forward
pass.

The philosophical underpinnings of Neutrino¹s existence are what he calls
Triads, a concept worked out after years of reading and reflection. He
believes that each person, to be truly happy, must define his or her three
deepest desires and pursue them remorselessly. Freedom, Joy, and Art are
Neutrino¹s three.
The Happiest Man in the World is a lavish, exotic, funny, and deeply serious
book about a man who has led a life of profound engagement and ceaseless
adventure.

>From the Hardcover edition.

Copyright © 1995-2007 Random House, Inc. All rights reserved