[JPL] Special Features next week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Mar 22 09:08:17 EDT 2007

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (26 March-1 April 2006)

This Monday, March 26th, This Monday, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of one of the most popular and influential bands in modern jazz history, THE BRECKER BROTHERS! You’ll hear the music of Randy and Michael with the illustrious lineup that included, among others, David Sanborn, Steve Khan, George Duke , Will Lee, Don Grolnick, and Joe Beck. You’ll hear from their early days in the heyday of the fusion era in the 1970’s to their cool, electric groove days of the Return of The Brecker Brothers phase of the 1990’s. Plus Randy and Michael will give us a look at their tremendous career in their own words. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday nights at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific, and this week it’s THE BRECKER BROTHERS!

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino.   What’s it all about?  Well here’s how Michelle describes what you’ll hear on the show…”anything with that "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' feel that ya just can't hear anywhere else.” Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. It’s JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! with Michelle Sammartino!  This week Michelle presents more of the new Greyboy All-Stars CD “What Happened To TV?” weeks before it’s release, more new Will Bernard, Organ Donors and some surprises from the recent Langerado Festival in South Florida!

This week it’s Night School: An Evening with Stanley Clarke and Friends on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 11 PM Eastern8 PM Pacific / and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll head to Hollywood for a star-studded presentation that chronicles the 3rd annual Stanley Clarke Scholarship Concert, recorded at the Musicians Institute in Hollywood, CA, in October 2002 featuring guests like Stevie Wonder, Bela Fleck, Stewart Copeland, Flea, Marcus Miller and others. Night School captures performances that range from straight ahead jazz to full-tilt rock fusion to twenty-two-piece string arrangements – all on one stage, all in a single night. You’ll hear an hour of this performance, which is just part of a DVD that came out on March 27. It’s Night School: An Evening with Stanley Clarke and Friends this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

SPECIAL EDITION!!!! THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN! This Thursday, March 29th would have marked the 58th birthday of one of the greats of jazz saxophone, MICHAEL BRECKER.  To honor him Beyond Jazz presents a special encore edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join the newest voice on Beyond Jazz, award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin in our studios in Chicago as he gives you his personal insights into the greatness of Michael Brecker and an hour of his work as a solo artist, with the Brecker Brothers and sideman work with Michael Franks and Herbie Hancock.  Listen twice on Thursday for this Special Edition of THE MOJA REPORT, Thursday morning at 10 AM Eastern/7 AM Pacific, following Jammin’ Jazz with Michelle, with a replay Thursday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s a special edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” featuring a salute to the late, great MICHAEL BRECKER!

IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fus ion Era. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece and get the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION! And this Friday as a special feature we’ll give you a Larry Coryell fusion masterpiece to begin each hour on in celebration of his birthday week here on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN! This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join the newest voice on Beyond Jazz, award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin in our studios in Chicago as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT , Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark presents a show called the "Buffalo Organ Triangle" featuring classic organists from Buffalo, Philadelphia and Newark, including Charles Earland, Dr. Lonnie Smith, Larry Young and others.

On Saturday, March 31st, Beyond Jazz presents another edition of “WORDS & MUSIC” as we focus on one of the greatest bands in jazz history with a special presentation we call “RETURN TO FOREVER REVISITED.” We’ll spend the day talking to Chick Corea, Lenny White, Al Di Meola and Stanley Clarke,  as we ask the guys to look back at a bright and shining moment in not only the history of Fusion, but 20th century music in general.  Not only is it a look back but a look to the future as the guys speculate on the possibility of a one-day reunion of the incredible supergroup. It all starts at Noon and lasts through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).  It’s “RETURN TO FOREVER REVISITED,” the theme of this week’s edition of “WORDS & MUSIC.”

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing reques ted songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
XM Satellite Radio33 West 60th Street