[JPL] Who is Jazz's Greatest Living Legend?

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Fri Mar 23 17:21:21 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/23/2007 12:14:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
merrillfla at aol.com writes:

<<..There are no greatest living legends.
What makes a  living legend?It's a matter of taste..>>

I think claims like "best" are a matter of taste, and should be  discouraged.
But "living legends" should be identifiable through a combination  of chops,
inventiveness, and fame. Some great musicians have not achieved that  last
element, and what is a legend if not at the top of the fame game?
    (Examples: Carl Saunders, Cecil Taylor, J.J.  Johnson, Phil Woods;
although perhaps J.J. and Phil have achieved high  visibility, I'm not sure either
has achieved the level of fame they  deserve, and I don't believe they were on
anyone's lists).

Ed