[JPL] Leeds International Jazz Conference

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Mon Mar 26 11:56:56 EDT 2007

I just went to the Leeds International Jazz Conference held at Leeds College
Of Music in England. I was part of a team consisting of Doctors Leonard Brown
and Emmett Price from Northeastern. We did a presentation on John Coltrane.
The annual conference ran from March 22 through March 24. It's a small
conference attended by a couple hundred people, mostly academicians, who
present and hear different papers on jazz. Keynote speaker was Lewis Porter.
In addition to the speech Lewis did another session showing rare video
footage of a number of legends of this music.

In addition to being a pianist Emmett is the author of a recent book entitled
Hip Hop Culture. Leonard is also a saxophonist and is one of the founders of
Boston's John Coltrane Memorial Concert, (http://www.jcmc.neu.edu/)  an
annual concert that has been running for 30 years and often sells out a 1200
seat auditorium in advance. In addition to the many different guest soloist
who have appeared throughout the years, Trane's Cousin Mary attended just
about every year, coming up from Philly. Sadly she had a stoke a few years
ago and is unable to get around (or speak). Leonard has gotten approval from
Oxford University Press to do a book on Coltrane. He has invited a number of
people to contribute a chapter to the book. I am one of the contributors. Our
presentation at Leeds was related to the upcoming book.

Eric Jackson
8 pm - mid Mon - Thurs
WGBH Boston
89.7 FM