[JPL] review of Australia Jazz Group Void

MIKE MATHENY drmike at radioio.com
Thu Mar 29 12:57:16 EDT 2007

I am constantly searching the web for new voices in jazz. Often the
search will take me to areas of the globe where I discover that jazz is
not only flourishing, but exploding with creativity and life. This time,
the music found me. I received an email (November '06) from a grad
student from the University of Miami, Troy Roberts, telling me a bit
about his group from Australia.. Void. As is the custom, I returned with
the proper mail address and an invitation to submit their music for
airplay on www.radioIOJAZZ.com. Hearing their cd changed our playlist
until this day.  After I began play of their music, my email box was
full of inquiry from listeners. In January, I had the privilege to hear
Void live at the International Association of Jazz Educators Conference
(IAJE) in New York City. Absolutely amazing.

--Void is a powerful quartet grounded by Andrew Fisenden on Drums and
Dane Alderson on Bass.  Tom O'Halloran plays the keyboards while Troy
Roberts tops the mix with the Tenor Saxophone. Each member is
individually gifted in their own right, but it is the combination of
these talents that produces the incredible 'voice' .. the sound of
Void... Together, they meld into a composite sound that is uniquely
cohesive. Void delivers incredible fusion and funk with an tireless
attention to rhythm and melody. Complete with surprising meter and tempo
changes, the music never sits complacently. Jazz fans who can truly
'hear' are treated to a festival of delights. Besides being strong
players themselves, each member of Void contributes their compositional
skills to the collection of tracks on their new self titled release.

--Listening to each player during performance is similar to trying to
'catch it all' at a four ring circus. So much is happening all at once.
Andrew Fisenden, with his over sized high hat cymbols and small kit
maintained the pocket solidly.. the first aspect I noticed about
Andrew's playing was the driving sound. But is was the creativity Andrew
constantly generated throughout the tasteful expression and variety of
changes in pattern that kept my interest in listening to his sticks.
Fisenden performed the dynamics and syncopated flourishes with exacting
precision.  Dane Alderson's performance on the electric bass is
versatile from style to style. He can turn quickly from popin' and funk
to articulate melodic passages then to subtle support. An incredible
soloist in his own right, Alderson displays agility on the upper
register as well as the lower frets. For example, listen to Dane's
performance on 'the homecoming song'.  O'Halloran, is the orchestra of
the band.   He covers electric piano, organ, and synthesizer.  He is the
epitome of versatility on each, confidently providing melodic motifs on
pulse while settling in the chord structures with the left. You can get
a taste of the expressive capabilities of O'Halloran's playing on his
solo during 'the Llama".  Troy Roberts is a master of the Tenor
Saxophone.  He covers the front of the band with incredible power and
finesse. Troy is the consummate player. He plays with an agility and
articulation that not only settles well in the groove, but at incredible
velocity. That would be enough for some, but Troy plays with expression
at these speeds.  Robert's performance goes even further. You can hear
his soul through the performance. From the beginning melody of 'London"
Troy's performance shows the versatility of his skills and
improvisation.  Roberts is as expressive as any saxophone player of
today and owns the technique to back up his performance.

The bottom line on 'Void'... If they come anywhere near you , it is a
must that you take in their live show. If you love fusion and
instrumental prowess you are guaranteed an unforgettable evening. Real
jazz fans will want to own a copy of "Void" for their personally
library.  You can purchase it at www.cdbaby.com <http://www.cdbaby.com/>
.. or visit the www.jazzwa.com <http://www.jazzwa.com/>  site to learn
more about this group.  After the concert in New York, I had the
opportunity to hang around and meet them. I found each to be humble and
refreshingly eager to share themselves with the new fans they had just
made. These young musicians are truly much more mature than their age.
In both playing abililty and personality. They are truly good
ambassadors for Jazz.. and Australia.

Drmike

Michael Matheny

RadioIOJAZZ Program Director

March 29, 2007

A Wholly Owned Subsidiary of ioWorldMedia,Inc

Dr. Michael E. Matheny

www.radioIoJazz.com <http://www.radioiojazz.com/>

www.radioIoSmoothJazz.com <http://www.radioiosmoothjazz.com/>

616 Triple Cove Drive, Wilkesboro, NC  28697

phone 800.884.8634  ext 732  e-mail drmike at radioio.com