[JPL] The R&B Chronicles

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 31 12:11:24 EDT 2007

At the beginning of the year I mentioned that my new show...."The R&B Chronicles" would start. It's been just about three months now. The show airs Friday evenings for one hour from 7pm-8pm EST. Last night was the first time for pledging for the show. It brought in $3950 - in that one hour! I was hoping to get at least $1500 for it. With this being the first time for the drive I really didn't have any research to base figures on. It exceeded everyones expectations in terms of money raised and new members. What's also interesting is that I was offering the "Soul Spectacular" four CD box set at the $200 level. I only had six boxes and they went in 15 minutes. I could have raised probably $3000 more if I had more of those sets to offer but most of them pledged anyway....some at different amounts.

  Usually the show features an artist or group but last night I decided to play the music from the shows I've aired so no specific feature. I decided to produce this show because one.... all the research tells us that percentages of African American listeners for public radio is near a flat line and two....I have a genuine passion for classic soul music. Few public stations carry programming like this and I thought it would be a great way to perhaps increase the AF numbers. It's working. Most of the folk that pledged....never have before. Seventy percent of those that called last night never pledged to public radio.

  If any one in radio is interested in hearing one of the shows drop me a note off list. Shows that have aired......EWF, James Brown, Sly, Aretha, Luther, Marvin, Barry, Tower Of Power, Isley Brothers, Temptations and War. Rufus with Chaka Khan is coming this Friday.

  Jae Sinnett
  WHRV FM
  Norfolk, VA