[JPL] Ornette - the truth can finally be told

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Wed May 2 07:57:39 EDT 2007

Yes, Rev., postmodernism is not a label I use regularly or
particularly celebrate yet it seemed the apt word for what you were
describing.

The term "free jazz" as applied to Ornette's recording of the same
name was not his idea but Atlantic Record's (I believe that's in
Litweiler). Free Form seems more accurate in that in improvised
performance there is no predetermined form. Though, as Phillip points
out, form happens.

One of the great musicians living today who's worked hard and made
innovations in reconciling the wild abandon of freely improvised music
with composition is Roscoe Mitchell. Though the balance between
composition and improvisation is one of the great threads tying
together the music's evolution.

Cecil, Ornette and Braxton are widely celebrated, recorded and written
about today, though their contribution as pioneering musicians is not
resonating within the jazz education movement (though neither is the
music of King Oliver, for that matter) on a level equal to their
contributions.