[JPL] Joshua Redman

Hahn, Steve SHahn at kuat.org
Wed May 2 15:03:39 EDT 2007

Exactly right, Lazaro. I've presented "avant-jazzers" from Oliver Lake,
Ron Miles, Sam Rivers, Joe McPhee and Bobby Bradford to Steve Lacy, Ray
Anderson, Vinny Golia and Evan Parker and when the groove is going on
nobody is frightened by squalling horns or confusing harmony. Which
further confirms my opinion that jazz has always been principally about
rhythm.

Steve Hahn

"And for all the discussion of harmony it would seem the average
listener is more thrown when you take away a steady, determined,
measurable, predictable rhythm."