[JPL] Joshua Redman

Phillip Greenlief pgsaxo at pacbell.net
Thu May 3 01:09:48 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Jae Sinnett
Subject: Re: [JPL] Joshua Redman

  My initial point about this turned into something else.....a classroom
about how you can use scales which was puzzling to me and really added
nothing to what I was talking about.

PG:
Excuse me, I'm new to the list, and don't really know "the rules" around
here.

My intention (which seems to have failed), was merely to add a sidebar
from a musician's point of view to the discussion about the Joshua
Redmond Trio; about how that particular lineup (saxophone-bass-drums -
actually, it could be any horn trio, or a guitar trio for that matter)
has offered a lot of freedom to improvisers due to the "open-ness"
provided when the piano or guitar are absent from the traditional rhythm
section. My tonal illustration was merely that - an illustration of why,
harmonically, it's a more open field.

Excuse me for stepping on your well-waxed shoes...no harm, no foul, I
hope.