[JPL] Joshua Redman

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Thu May 3 10:27:17 EDT 2007

Review of Joshua's new CD:

http://thephoenix.com/article_ektid39041.aspx

Yes, Jae, educating the community. Small step: I'll be moderating a
presentation (film, live music, discussion) on Early Jazz this Sunday
afternoon at the Wealthy Theater in Grand Rapids. This is the first in
a six segment series on the history of jazz -- here's hoping they get
a crowd. The series is being presented by The Community Media Center
of Grand Rapids (www.grcmc.org). Should be cool.

As far as educating the audience via the radio, Blue Lake has a
nightly feature called "The Jazz Retrospective" which focuses on a
single artist in each hour of our nightly five hour program. Tonight
it's John Lewis. Concentrated programming such as that really seems to
help, despite Sound Exchange's position to the contrary.

As to the "problems" enumerated by your audience Jae, yikes! 1939,
Body and Soul, and the whole country "got"it. Now? "The needle
(stylus) and the damage done."

If a sax, bass, drums trio has something missing, what about a
trombone, sax, drums instrumentation such as The Ethnic Heritage
Ensemble? Maybe a focus on what's there rather than what's not is the
first step.