[JPL] I gave this article five stars.

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Thu May 3 11:01:03 EDT 2007

<<..JUST AN ADDENDUM....

I remember Jim Wilke when you posted  a critique of this work and told us
that the critic gave it one star.   I was appalled and let it be known
then.  When a critic gives a work  like this ONE star, he has an agenda

that never addressed the work.   There's something else going on..>>

That's a pretty risky assertion. It suggests (hell, it comes out and
accuses) that someone who doesn't like the artistic content of the
work  must have
dark motives. Might it be that the critic just didn't like it on its  artistic
merit?

Ed

Yes, critics and publishers have an agenda. Branford's had writers
tell him they wrote a favorable review of one of his dics only to have
a editor give it back and tell the writer it was too positive, and
that "we don't do that here." Not out of the realm of possbility that
an agenda is involved.

That said, Abby and Max did more musically with these themes than
Wynton's achieved here. BUT, and it's a huge but, there's been little
in the way of social insight from the world of jazz lately. Even
Armstrong, Holiday, Ellington Brubeck and Mingus made powerful social
criticisms through music. It is about time the world of jazz spoke up
again about the state of American affairs. True, one way to ruin a
good meal is to talk about politics but maybe we've all had enough to
eat for awhile, eh? That, or we leave it up to the Dixie Chicks.