[JPL] I gave this article five stars.

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Thu May 3 13:36:27 EDT 2007

Hi Eric,

> I'm curious as to how you measure that they did "more musically with these
> themes." And of the works you referred to, do you also rank them in terms of
> which is more musical? If so, I'd be curious to hear your list and why you
> place them that way.

"Max & Abbey been there, done that, timelier, angrier, and better."

Abby screaming from "Prayer/Protest/Peace" is often the sound track to
films of the fire hoses and attack dogs being turned loose on the
black population.

The music's impact was on the level of the visual image, of real life.
In real life today I doubt "Plantation" will have much of an impact.
Would that it did but doubts rule hope.

And, yes, "Plantation" is a touch point in an on-going musical commentary.

Louis got "in trouble" for saying in effect that if 'Jesus were black
and marched today they'd beat him, too.'  Folks sure enough didn't
want to hear that truth from their Entertainer. That was when Dizzy
and Miles turned around on Louis and embraced him for what he was, not
for what they thought he was.

John Hammond was just a big chicken about "Strange Fruit."

As far as today, well, yeah -- people will beat your fanny black and
blue for saying anything critical. I mean, they'll out a spy for
getting some truth in the way, and the Dixie Chicks sure were beat
down for stating what was on many people's minds. They recovered, but,
yeah: they got a taste of what Hunter S. Thompson called "The Shit
Hammer." Yuck!