[JPL] Special Features Next Week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu May 3 14:48:36 EDT 2007

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (7-13 May 2006)

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
This Sunday listen for two releases featuring acoustic piano and another from one of the greatest living masters of guitar playing all acoustic this Sunday May 13th, another Premier Sunday here on Beyond Jazz!

First, one of the great guitarists of all time, Al Di Meola, has recorded an all-acoustic project titled “Diabolic Inventions & Seduction.” This is the project Al has always wanted to do, play the music of the legendary father of the tango, Argentina’s Astor Piazzolla. It’s Al on solo guitar with percussion and it’s brilliant.  You can only purchase it on CD Baby or at one of Al’s live performances, and you can only hear it on XM 72, Beyond Jazz thanks to Al himself.

Then, it’s the jazz piano trio for the 21st century…The Bad Plus with their new work titled “Prog.” The boys from Minneapolis are back at it again with a collection of their own brilliant tunes and their inventive take on everything from David Bowie to Rush, Burt Bacharach and Tears For Fears.

We’ll follow that with a man most famous for his work on the organ, George Colligan, turning mainly to the acoustic piano on his new one titled “Blood Pressure.”

Listen for cuts from these three new releases beginning at 10 PM Eastern/7 PM Pacific, right after THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN on another Premier Sunday…part of The Sunday Specials, from XM 72, Beyond Jazz.

This Monday, May 7th, it’s a birthday celebration as we present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of one of the most recognizable voices in music, PHILIP BAILEY on the actual day of his birthday. Yes, it’s the voice of Earth, Wind & Fire and one of the great voices of R&B, Pop and now Modern Jazz.  With the good graces of Heads Up International we’ll be able to give you a full hour of the jazzy side of his music, plus, we’ll hear live performances from the XM Performance Theatre and enjoy Philip’s own comments that shed light on his brilliant career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific, and this week we feature an hour of the music of PHILIP BAILEY!

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino .  What’s it all about?  Well here’s how Michelle describes what you’ll hear on the show…”anything with that "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' feel that ya just can't hear anywhere else.” Li sten for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. It’s JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION with Michelle Sammartino ! This week Michelle serves up a variety of her favorite styles and artists…classic stuff from Joe Zawinul, acid jazz from Up, Bustle & Out, roots-jazz from Jazz Mandolin Project, funky stuff from Greyboy Allstars and much, much more!

This week it’s JFJO LIVE IN BERLIN on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll enjoy one of the hottest live trios in jazz today, THE JACOB FRED JAZZ ODYSSEY as they blow away the crowd at the 2006 Berlin Jazz Festival with a live performance presented to Beyond Jazz by the band themselves.   It’s a rarity you truly won’t hear anywhere but here.  It’s JFJO LIVE JFJO LIVE IN BERLIN on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece and get the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN! This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join the newest voice on Beyond Jazz, award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin in our studios in Chicago as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT , Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark places the spotlight on the men he calls “The Fab Four of Fusion,” Return to Forever’s Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White and Al Di Meola!

On Saturday, May 12th, Beyond Jazz invites you to spend the day with one of the greatest saxophonists of his generation, JOSHUA REDMAN, with a very special edition of “WORDS & MUSIC” we call “OUT WEST & BACK EAST WITH JOSH.” After years of high level work in Boston and New York, Joshua has returned to his hometown of Berkeley, California.  Russ Davis tracked him down there recently to catch up on things.  So listen, as each hour Joshua tells us what he’s up to these days, followed by his award-winning  music, beginning at Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).  Not only will you hear lots of his work over the years but we’ll place a special focus on his newest work, his first acoustic trio record ever, “Back East.” It’s “OUT WEST & BACK EAST WITH JOSH,” a day spent with JOSHUA REDMAN on this week’s edition of “WORDS & MUSIC.”

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing reques ted songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
XM Satellite Radio