[JPL] Tim Eyermann RIP

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Thu May 3 17:22:48 EDT 2007

Dear friends, fans & colleagues...

There's some very sad news to report today.

Some of you might already be aware, but there's been some shocking stunning
news to East Coast jazz fans, particularly those of us in the greater
Pittsburgh and Washington DC areas -- multi-reedman and East Coast Offering
founder and band-leader Tim Eyermann has suddenly died this week.

Tim was not only became a warm and always welcomed friend, but a musician
who managed to strike awe and admiration of his talent no matter how many
times I would hear him and his bands. And that was at least dozens of times
in outdoor festivals, theater concerts, jazz clubs, neighborhood bars, even
on a street corner.
Tim was, at heart, a bopper, but with a contemporary edge to him. Boundless
energy and enthusiasm. And always with huge respect for the tradition, and
in particular, for his idol Cannonball Adderley. And, for his own hometown
inspiration and mentor, the late trumpeter Mike Marracino.

I can still so vividly recall the first gig I heard Tim's East Coast
Offering (w/Gregg Karrukas on keyboards) sat the old Leona Theater in
Homestead. He was the opener for Lonnie Liston-Smith and easily stole the
show. I was hooked.

There were probably valid reasons of which I've never been privy, but it
never ceased to puzzle and frustrate me as to why Tim and his band couldn't
seem to break through to a much larger audience. Certainly his talent
warranted it.

If you are not familiar with any of Tim's bouyant, joyful and energetic
music, tune in this Sunday (see below) and we'll give you all a taste.
Maybe, then you can go out & seek more. I will, I do already, miss him.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you missed the the Bob James & Angels of Shanghai performance this past
Tuesday & Wednesday, you missed one of the most singularly uplifting and
inspiring cross-cultural jazz experiences you might ever have. Whew! That
was performance that clearly wowed the diverse, but very receptive audience.
The album, CELEBRATION, is just as exciting and stirring. Just remarkable.

And, of course, this weekend, Bob James old buddy guitarist Earl Klugh, is
headlining "An Evening of Guitars" along with fellow master pickers Russell
Malone and Bill Frisell on the MCG Stage. Then Sunday afternoon, the wonders
of Mary Lou Williams, the composer, will be further explored by the potent
pianist Geri Allen & the Mary Lou William Project at the Kelly-Strayhorn
Theater in East Liberty.

Hope you can go "Jazzin' Around" with us this week. Many of the latest jazz
albums on top of the JazzWeek Report charts, new releases, exclusive advance
releases, jazz news & more. It really is probably more information & new
music in two hours than you can get anywhere else in a week.
(Well...maybe...)
---
Catch us on-air at 1550am/'The Edge' or on-the-web at www.edge1550.com  for
any of of our three Sunday broadcasts  > > > > > 10a-12n ('live'), then
re-broadcast  from 6p-8p and 10p-12mdt.
Or as a "podcast" anywhere worldwide, too -- check out "iPodder.com" or the
latest iTunes  edition (v6.0) or go to the station's website
[www.edge1550.com] and follow the link.

[IMPORTANT NOTE: Perhaps you've heard. Our host radio station, WURP/1550am
is being sold to a new owner. We're not sure what that might for our radio
broadcast in the Pittsburgh area. For the time being, there might not be any
changes. As for the coming weeks/months... well, we'll have to see. It would
not hurt to let the station know you listen and you support the program. See
the station website (above) for contact info.]

And, just keep on swingin'...and catch you on Sunday...."pod" on, "pod"
on....

David Jaye
Host/Producer, "Jazzin' Around"
WURP, The Edge-1550am