[JPL] The travesty of American Masters' Atlantic Recordsstory.....

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Fri May 4 13:00:57 EDT 2007

Arturo: "Now here's where I lost it and where I say without
reservations that the
filmmakers blew it by not including a segment on the jazz side of Atlantic
Records, the name Jon W. Coltrane was not uttered once despite the landmark
recordings made by Trane at Atlantic. It is a travesty to depict the history
of Atlantic Records and not make reference to, talk about, or indicate to
the viewers, especially the neophytes, that Atlantic Records was a force to
be reckoned with in the 1960s jazz world, more so when the founders of the
label were jazz lovers first and foremost."

Mention of "My Favorite Things" shouldn't have been so difficult.

Another aspect of the story, perhaps, is the wharehouse fire Atlantic
had where they lost all of their master tapes -- a great loss to jazz,
too.