[JPL] Cyrus and Elvis

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 11:54:58 EDT 2007

What's interesting Bobby with "Love Me Tender"... is that Elvis didn't write it but was credited for "co-writing" the song. It's a song that is more or less based on an old civil war song called "Aura Lee"...or something like that. Public Domain permitted new arrangements to be done on the piece. The reason Elvis got credited with co-writing is because he assisted in the production of the song...in the studio. The lyrics were actually written by Ken Darby but his wife was credited interestingly enough. Elvis would be very involved with the productions of his recordings and would change lyrics or make some minor "adjustments" on the songs to fit his concept and other things then take writers credit to get share of the royalties.

  Jae Sinnett

"Jackson, Bobby" <Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org> wrote:
  This week's JPL sponsor: Larry Vuckovich

Rare NYC Appearances, Highlight of Fall Tour for Premier West Coast Jazz pianist Larry Vuckovich - 17 years after being on the jazz scene here in 1985-90, playing at top NYC clubs, winning top praise from the New York Times and Village Voice. The tour follows the success of his current Street Scene CD, #1 on XM Satellite and # 10 on JazzWeek.
- Mon. Oct. 8: Dizzy's Club Coca Cola at Lincoln Center, Jazz-Latin quartet, 7:30 and 9:30 PM, NYC www.jalc.com
- Fri. Oct. 12: Klavierhaus - Jazz Piano Summit, NYC, 8 PM solo/duo with post-bop pianist Hod O'Brien www.pianoculture.com
- Sat. Oct. 13: Klavierhaus brownstone series, solo, 8 PM, Easton, PA
Guest on NPR's Marian McPartland Piano Jazz show, to be aired later.

Detroit Performances -
- Wed, Oct. 3: Jazz-Latin quartet, Firefly Club, Ann Arbor at 8 PM
- Fri. Oct. 5: Jazz-Latin trio, Detroit Music Hall Jazz Cafe, 11 PM., following a boogie and blues show
We invite you and your friends to hear Larry play in Detroit or New York.

Interviews: WDCB (Chicago) WDET and WJBK Fox TV (Detroit) WFDU and WBGO (NYC)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi Jae,

Interestingly enough, vocalist Dee Daniels does a really nice version of
Presley's "Love Me Tender" on her August 2007 release "Jazz In It." I'm
not sure what's in the air these days regarding Elvis but I'm with Chuck
D...."he was never a hero to me either, musically or otherwise."
Cyrus's choice to cover Elvis is a curious choice to me also.

I haven't listened yet, but I will.

Aloha,

Bobby Jackson

Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com