[JPL] Cyrus and Elvis

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 3 11:56:41 EDT 2007

I think the first jazz "cover" of an Elvis song I recall was  "Love Me
Tender"  sung by Carmen McRae on her 1986 CD "Any Old Time".   It was
one of those illuminating moments when you get a whole new take on a
song when separated from the person it's most identified with.  Carmen
made it sound like it was a standard out of the GAS  (Great American
Songbook).   The song is credited to Elvis and Vera Matson, by the way.