[JPL] Cyrus and Elvis

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Wed Oct 3 12:30:40 EDT 2007

Jae Sinnett wrote:

> What's interesting Bobby with "Love Me Tender"... is that Elvis didn't
> write it but was credited for "co-writing" the song. It's a song that is
> more or less based on an old civil war song called "Aura Lee"...or

Yeah, I know the song you are refering to although I think the spelling
of the title was spelled differently.

I remember a lyric like Ora Lee, Ora Lee, Maid with Golden Hair,
Sunshine came along with thee and (rainbows?) in your hair.

Sing the above to the lines Love me tender, Love me true, never let me
go, For my darling, I love you and I always will.

I posted something awhile ago when I first heard that Cyrus was doing
this project. In the 19th century in the U.S. minstrelsy was arguably
the most popular form of entertainment. Early 19th century minstrels
were white but they "blackened" their faces to perform the music of the
slaves. Most of the performers were mocking and derisive but not all.
It's been said that many of the negative stereotypes about African
Americans were introduced and reinforced on the minstrel stage.
Sometimes a song would have appeal to the slaves and the song would end
up being popular with them. It was a case of the slave being attracted
to music that was based on the music he had created.

I haven't heard the CD yet. I also thought it was a curious choice.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz