[JPL] Cyrus and Elvis

Ron Gill ron_gill at verizon.net
Fri Oct 5 11:22:11 EDT 2007

=====================
From: Jim Wilke <jwilke123 at comcast.net>
Date: 2007/10/03 Wed PM 12:38:44 CDT
To: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
Subject: Re: [JPL] Cyrus and Elvis

This week's JPL sponsor: Larry Vuckovich

Rare NYC Appearances, Highlight of Fall Tour for Premier West Coast Jazz pianist Larry Vuckovich - 17 years after being on the jazz scene here in 1985-90, playing at top NYC clubs, winning top praise from the New York Times and Village Voice. The tour follows the success of his current Street Scene CD, #1 on XM Satellite and # 10 on JazzWeek.
- Mon. Oct. 8: Dizzy's Club Coca Cola at Lincoln Center, Jazz-Latin quartet, 7:30 and 9:30 PM, NYC www.jalc.com
- Fri. Oct. 12: Klavierhaus  - Jazz Piano Summit, NYC, 8 PM solo/duo with post-bop pianist Hod O'Brien www.pianoculture.com
- Sat. Oct. 13: Klavierhaus brownstone series, solo, 8 PM, Easton, PA
Guest on NPR's Marian McPartland Piano Jazz show, to be aired later.

Detroit Performances -
- Wed, Oct. 3: Jazz-Latin quartet, Firefly Club, Ann Arbor at 8 PM
- Fri. Oct. 5: Jazz-Latin trio, Detroit Music Hall Jazz Cafe, 11 PM., following a boogie and blues show
We invite you and your friends to hear Larry play in Detroit or New York.

Interviews: WDCB (Chicago) WDET and WJBK Fox TV (Detroit) WFDU and WBGO (NYC)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That is why the Strayhorn family have been working hard
in these last few years getting the rights back from compositions Billy wrote. It WAS a corporate mentality
and I'm sure it hasn't changed.
Ron Gill
Bobby,

..... and I think that often extended to band leaders as well ...
Cootie Williams' name on "'Round Midnight", and I think Coleman
Hawkins' name is on a couple of bebop tunes written by the young tyros
in his band.  And didn't  Ellington himself have his name on tunes that
were conceived if not written down by members of his band?    Sort of
like corporate property rights, if you did it while you were working
for us, it's ours.

Hunter S Thompson was right!

Jim