[JPL] PLAYLIST JzFmS4 WGBH Boston 10/5/07

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Fri Oct 5 23:43:47 EDT 2007

Friday, Oct 5, 8pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7

2008 N.E.A. JAZZ MASTERS:
Candido Camero; Andrew Hill; Quincy Jones;
Tom McIntosh; Joe Wilder; Gunther Schuller.
VON FREEMAN AT 85(b. 10/03/1922)
also WHAT'S NEW on CD

8:00pm
THEME: Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05pm
Andrew Hill: Sophisticated Lady, Hommage (Test of Time)
Andrew Hill: Old Devil Moon, So In Love (Fresh Sound)
Andrew Hill: Dedication, Point of Departure (Blue Note)

8:23pm
Bruce Gertz: Dr. Zoltan, It Wasn't Me (Open Mind Jazz)
Abbey Lincoln: Bird Alone, Abbey Sings Abbey (Verve)
Tardo Hammer: Dial B for Beauty, Look, Stop & Listen (Sharp 9)

8:51pm
Von Freeman: In My Solitude, Never Let Me Go (Steeplechase)
Kurt Elling; featuring Von Freeman: Hide The (Salome),
Close Your Eyes (Blue Note)
Von Freeman: Blue Pres, The Great Divide (Premonition)

9:18pm
Candido: Ghana Spice, Afro Blue: The Roots and Rhythms of Jazz (Blue Note)
Art Blakey Percussion Ensemble; featuring Candido: Cubano Chant,
Drum Suite (Columbia)
Dizzy Gillespie: Con Alma, Dizzy's Diamonds (Verve)
Sonny Rollins; featuring Candido: Bluesongo,
The Complete RCA Sonny Rollins (RCA Victor)

9:40pm
Carolyn Leonhart; Wayne Escoffery: Never Too Soon,
If Dreams Come True (Nagel Heyer)
Ed Reed: Ask Me Now, Love Stores (Blue Shorts Music)
Judi Silvano: What's Your Story Morning Glory, Women's Work (JSL Records)

10:05pm
Lambert, Hendricks and Ross: With Malice Toward None (T. McIntosh),
The Hottest New Group in Jazz (Columbia)
Benny Bailey: Please Say Yes (T. McIntosh), Hard Sock Dance (Candid)
Art Farmer: Supplication (T. McIntosh), New York Jazz Sextet (LoneHill)
Blue Mitchell: The Cup Bearers (T. McIntosh), The Cup Bearers (Riverside)

10:29pm
Joe Wilder: Cherokee, Softly With Feeling (Savoy)
Joe Wilder: God Bless the Child, No Greater Love (Evening Star)

10:49pm
John Lewis; Gunther Schuller: Variants on a Theme of John Lewis (Django),
Jazz Abstractions (Atlantic)
Gunther Schuller: Queens Fancy, The Modern Jazz Society (Verve)
Gunther Schuller: Transformation, Th Birth of The Third Stream (Columbia)

11:13pm
Ehud Asherie: Chonky, Lock Out (Positone)
Alvin; Queen: Seven Steps to Heaven,
I Ain't Looking at You (Enja/Justin Time)
Don Friedman: Theme for Cee Tee, Waltz for Marilyn (Jazz Excursion)

11:35pm
Quincy Jones: Stockholm Sweetnin', This Is How I Feel About Jazz (Impulse)
Quincy Jones: The Midnight Sun Will Never Set,
The Birth of a Band! (Mercury)
Quincy Jones: Meet Benny Bailey, Jazz 'Round Midnight (Verve)

11:48pm
Von Freeman: My Foolish Heart, Dedicated To You (Steeplechase)

-end-