[JPL] Monk jazz competition heads west

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Sun Oct 7 12:49:01 EDT 2007

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-et-monk5oct05,1,2566233.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true
<http://www.latimes.com/business/la-et-monk5oct05,1,2566233.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true>
/From the Los Angeles Times/

  Monk jazz competition heads west

By Don Heckman
Special to The Times

October 5, 2007

The Thelonious Monk Institute is bringing its International Jazz
Competition, which has launched the careers of such artists as Joshua
Redman, Marcus Roberts, Jane Monheit, Jacky Terrasson and Tierney
Sutton, to the West Coast for the first time.

The 21st installment of the competition will take place Oct. 28 and 29,
with the semifinals at UCLA and the finals the next day at the Kodak
Theatre in Hollywood.
*FOR THE RECORD:*
Jazz competition: An article in Friday's Calendar section about the
Thelonious Monk Institute's 21st International Jazz Competition gave its
dates as Oct. 28 and 29. The event will take place Oct. 27 and 28.

"The only time we've ever left our home at the Kennedy Center in
Washington, D.C.," said Institute President Tom Carter, "was in 1992,
when we went to New York City for the drums competition. This year, our
hall, the Eisenhower Theatre, is under renovation, so we thought, 'What
a great opportunity to take the competition to Los Angeles.' "

This year's trumpet event brings 10 players -- all under the age of 30,
with no recordings under their own names -- to UCLA's Schoenberg Hall on
Oct. 28 for the semifinals.

"That program," Carter said, "will be free to the public. The only event
we do that we sell tickets for is the competition finals, which is one
of our major fundraisers."

The finals will take place Oct. 29 at 5 p.m., with a stellar panel of
jazz trumpeters -- Quincy Jones, Herb Alpert, Terence Blanchard, Clark
Terry, Roy Hargrove and Hugh Masekela -- judging the three finalists.

"In addition," Carter said, "the second half of our competition finals
is always a tribute to something, and this year we are doing a tribute
to Herbie Hancock, our chairman. Herbie's remarkable career will be
celebrated by a lineup that includes Sting, Joni Mitchell, Chaka Khan,
Al Jarreau, George Benson, Chris Botti, Wayne Shorter, Terence Blanchard
and Roy Hargrove, with others still signing on."

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations