[JPL] The golden age of Cuban music is fading, with its stars dying or aging

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 9 12:35:45 EDT 2007

Thanks for passing that on, Arturo.      Hmmm..... some questions arise
for this group:

Are there parallels with jazz as its progenitors pass and so has its
time of greatest popularity?

Is the public perception of "jazz"  that of a dead or "classic" music
that can be RE-created but is no longer a living, innovative style
.....  a la Ken Burns "Jazz"?

Do you perceive there are jazz musicians who are writing and playing
music exclusively for other musicians?

     ... I'd have to say at least a qualified "yes" to each question,
although numerous exceptions can be cited as well.  But it probably
argues for including some "classic" jazz (40s-50s) within most jazz
radio programming and it's more important and significant than jazz
covers of current pop hits.

What do you think?

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org

On Tuesday, October 9, 2007, at 08:22  AM,  Arturo sent the following
(in part) :