[JPL] Pass The Microphone

Maurice Hogue onemansjazz at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 9 12:40:25 EDT 2007

Thought I'd pass this on for comments.
CKUW, here in Winnipeg, bills itself as a campus/community
radio station based at the downtown University of Winnipeg.
A big part of our mandate is bringing the "community" of the
downtown core area which includes the lowest average-income-
earned segment in Canada.  We bill ourselves as "listener-driven"
radio.

So for a week next month we are truly letting the listener drive
our programming. "It's Pass The Mic Week." Every show that
has a local programmer/host will be bringing the community into
his/her show.  For example, guest programmers/hosts, live performance
in our phone booth-sized performance studio, invite someone who
donated to our Fund Raising show to co-host, etc., etc.

Anyone else done this sort of thing?   I think I'll probably split my three-
hour show in half, and let a couple of regular listeners (you know the ones,
"why don't you play  more......")do a show from --
programming to hosting. I'll just sit back and tech it.  I also might consider
just going out on the street with a tape recorder, wander around and ask
for some stingers and requests.

Could be a bizarre week at CKUW.

Maurice Hogue
CKUW Winnipeg