[JPL] RE: Lionel Loueke Pronunciation

Susan Reeves susan at susanreeves.net
Tue Oct 9 14:15:25 EDT 2007

HI all-
I had wondered the same a while back and had found this:

"Guitarist Lionel Loueke (pronounced Lee-oh-NELL Lou-EH-keh) first came
to the United States from his native Benin, Africa, in 1999, at 26, with
a captivating guitar technique and a deep love of jazz's improvisational
freedom. He'd gained knowledge of and affection for the music of
jazz-guitar heroes such as Wes Montgomery and George Benson and bluesmen
like B.B. King, but he planned to sound like none of them. He'd been
entranced by the compositions and band concepts of modern jazz masters -
saxophonist Wayne Shorter and pianist Herbie Hancock, for example - and
he wished to play with all of them....."

SOURCE: excerpted from
Jazz Journalists Association Library
by Larry Blumenfeld
 reprinted with permission from the May issue of Jazziz
http://www.jazzhouse.org/library/?read=blumenfeld8

I am compiling my own list of pronunciations as time goes on - there are SO many to learn!  Maybe someday I'll create a list and put it on my website....

Smiles,
Susan

**Support Live Music**
Susan Reeves
PO Box 3047
Durham, NC  27715
susan at susanreeves.net
www.susanreeves.net
Straight No Chaser - 88.9 fm - WSHAfm.org
Project Consultant, Duke University/FollowingMonk.org