[JPL] RE: Lionel Loueke Pronunciation

Jayne Sanchez jaynesanchez at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 14:42:15 EDT 2007

Lionel Loueke
  I met Lionel at Monterey Jazz Fest last year and since I emceeing, I just went up and asked him. and he told me it was Lee-oh-NELL Lou-EH-keh.  It flows nicely.

  Vinne Colaiuta
  One of the pro drummers I know pronounces it Vinnie CAH-lee-oo-tah

Susan Reeves <susan at susanreeves.net> wrote:
  This Week's JPL Sponsor: GROOV Marketing and Consulting. Offering The Most Thorough and Effective Radio campaigns since 1991. For more information please contact Mark Rini or Josh Ellman at 877-GROOV-32

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HI all-
I had wondered the same a while back and had found this:

"Guitarist Lionel Loueke (pronounced Lee-oh-NELL Lou-EH-keh) first came to the United States from his native Benin, Africa, in 1999, at 26, with a captivating guitar technique and a deep love of jazz's improvisational freedom. He'd gained knowledge of and affection for the music of jazz-guitar heroes such as Wes Montgomery and George Benson and bluesmen like B.B. King, but he planned to sound like none of them. He'd been entranced by the compositions and band concepts of modern jazz masters - saxophonist Wayne Shorter and pianist Herbie Hancock, for example - and he wished to play with all of them....."

SOURCE: excerpted from
Jazz Journalists Association Library
by Larry Blumenfeld
reprinted with permission from the May issue of Jazziz
http://www.jazzhouse.org/library/?read=blumenfeld8

I am compiling my own list of pronunciations as time goes on - there are SO many to learn!  Maybe someday I'll create a list and put it on my website....

Smiles,
Susan

**Support Live Music**
****** ****** ******
Susan Reeves
PO Box 3047
Durham, NC  27715
susan at susanreeves.net
www.susanreeves.net
Straight No Chaser - 88.9 fm - WSHAfm.org
Project Consultant, Duke University/FollowingMonk.org

Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com

Ms. Jayne Sanchez
www.jaynesanchez.com
650.291.0045