[JPL] Bay Area in the spotlight next week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Oct 11 08:42:56 EDT 2007

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (15-21 October 2006)

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
Join us this Sunday, October 21st, at a new, earlier time of 5 PM Eastern/2PM Pacific, for music from 6 new releases on another Premier Sunday here on Beyond Jazz. First, it’s the great Stanley Clarke, giving us everything from the funky side of things to an impressive long form piece on his new one titled “The Toys Of Men.” Then it’s the master keyboardist T. Lavitz, once again putting together an all-star band, this time featuring Dave Weckl, Frank Gambale, Jerry Goodman, John Patitiucci and Steve Morse, under the name “School Of The Arts.” Then, from the department of “Are You Kidding Me?” comes jazz versions of the songs of Elvis Presley by the great pianist Cyrus Chestnut on his new one simply titled “Cyrus Plays Elvis.” We’ll close it out with the work of three great trumpeters. First, you’ll hear the long awaited and very heartfelt reflections of New Orleans native Terence Blanchard giving us musical impressions of his thoughts concerning the destruction of the city he loves. It’s titled “A Tale Of God’s Will-A Requiem For Katrina,” followed by the second release by his fellow-New Orleanian, Christian Scott titled, “Anthem.” Lastly, it’s another great, young trumpeter, Jeremy Pelt,  who takes his electric band he calls Wired into the friendly confines of the club Smoke on New York’s upper Westside to record their new CD “Shock Value-Live @ Smoke.” So join us a littler earlier this week to hear 6 new releases beginning at 5 PM Eastern/2PM Pacific, our new time for Premier Sunday…kicking off The Sunday Specials, from XM 72, Beyond Jazz.

This Monday, October 15th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of one of the greatest saxophonists of his generation, KENNY GARRETT! We’ll give you a full hour of Kenny’s music and help him celebrate his 47th birthday which happens to be October 9th. We’ll hear not only his solo work but also enjoy some of his collaboration with the legendary Miles Davis.  Plus, we’ll also hear Kenny’s own comments that shed light on his brilliant career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at a new, earlier time of 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week we’ll put the focus on the great saxophonist and composer KENNY GARRETT on Beyond Jazz.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week Michelle joins in on our week-long celebration of MOJA made in the San Francisco Bay area by featuring the music of Will Bernard, Charlie Hunter, Tower of Power, Scott Amendola and many more.

This Wednesday and Sunday, join us for more of our celebration this week of great MOJA from the San Francisco Bay Area as we present LIVE AT YOSHI’S on LIVE @ BJ'S ! Every Wednesday night at our new, earlier time of 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week you’ll travel to that famous little club in Oakland’s Jack London Square for some delicious Japanese food and some blazing, live MOJA from the likes of guitarists ALLAN HOLDSWORTH, PAT MARTINO, violinist JENNY SCHEINMAN, trumpeter NICHOLAS PAYTON, as they burn up the Yoshi’s stage and you are there.  It’s LIVE AT YOSHI’S on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S ! And don’t forget to listen every Wednesday night at our new, earlier time of 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific.

IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fus ion Era. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece and get the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN! This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join the newest voice on Beyond Jazz, award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin in our studios in Chicago as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT , Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark joins in on our celebration of great MOJA from the San Francisco Bay Area with a show he calls “East Bay Grease” featuring three greats bands from the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s that came from the San Francisco Bay area and made funky, jazzy history. We’re talking Santana, Tower of Power and Cold Blood.

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and on Saturday, October 20th, we'll place the spotlight on the great jazz that springs from the San Francisco Bay Area with a special presentation titled SF MOJA!  Join Michelle Sammartino and Russ Davis as they talks to great artists like George Duke , Joshua Redman, Charlie Hunter, Will Bernard and others who hail from the Bay Area, plus others like violinist Jenny Scheinman and Sex Mob’s Steve Bernstein and pianist Michael Wolff who have made the area their home and base of operations at times in their career. Interview segments followed by music begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It's a celebration of jazz from the great Bay Area…SF MOJA, this week’s WORDS & MUSIC, Saturday from BEYOND JAZZ.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email message s by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.
Russ Davis
Program Director
XM 72-Beyond Jazz