[JPL] Fw: Lee Konitz' 80th on October 13th

Len Dobbin lendobbin at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 11 11:20:53 EDT 2007

I will be saluting Lee on the next two editions of "Dobbin's Den" - I've been a fan since hearing him (he was 19) with Thornhill on "Thrivin' On A Riff" when I was about 13 - almost 60 years ago.  Recommend everyone read pianist Andy Hamitlon's book with Lee, "Conversations of the Improviser's Art"!   A reminded that Montreal born Paul Bley celebrates # 75 on November 10th and look at WIRE from England for a great piece on Paul, also by Andy Hamilton.  Lord lists 168 sessions by Paul which should provide for lots of fodder for a birthday salute - now if only his U.S. debut session with Oscar Pettiford and Kenny Clarke would only turn up!

Len

DOBBIN'S DEN

BACKGROUND TO EDITION 647

On today's show we salute LEE KONITZ who was born 80 years ago yesterday.
Produced and hosted by Len Dobbin
11am - 1pm   CKUT 90.3 fm
www.ckut.ca    [and archived at that address]
Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
October 14, 2007

STAN KENTON  (Lee Konitz)

ARTISTRY IN PARIS [JASMINE]

In Lighter Vein

NEW CONCEPTS OF ARTISTRY IN RHYTHM [CAPITOL]

Swinghouse

My Lady

23 N - 82 W

LEE KONITZ

AT STORYVILLE [BLACK LION]

Introduction / Ablution {All The Things You Are)

CONCEPTION [PRESTIGE]

HiBeck (Pennies from Heaven)

SUBCONSCIOUS-LEE [PRESTIGE]

Marshmallow (Cherokee)

KONITZ MEETS MULLIGAN [PACIFIC JAZZ]

Sextet

LEE KONITZ WITH WARNE MARSH [ATLANTIC]

Background Music (All of Me)

LIVE AT THE HALF NOTE [VERVE]

Just Friends (Bill Evans)

GERRY MULLIGAN (Lee Konitz)

THE MULLIGAN SONGBOOK [PACIFIC JAZZ]

Disc Jockey Jump

CLAUDE THORNHILL (Lee Konitz)

TAPERSTRIES [AFFINITY]

Thrivin' on a Riff (I Got Rhythm)

Yardbird Suite

MILES DAVIS (Lee Konitz)

BIRTH OF THE COOL [CAPITOL]

Israel (Blues)

METRONOME ALL-STARS (Lee Konitz)

BIRTH OF THE COOL VOL. 2 [CAPITOL]

Local 802 Blues

FRANCOIS THERBERGE (Lee Konitz)

MUSIC OF KONITZ [EFFENDI]

*Subconscious-Lee (What Is This Thing Called Love)

LENNIE TRISTANO (Lee Konitz)

INTUITION [PROPER BOX]

Tautology (Idaho)

Wow (You Can Depend On Me)

Marionette (September In The Rain)

Intuition (free playing)

Sax of a Kind (Fine and Dandy)

*April (I'll Remember April)                               Recorded in Toronto 1952

*Sound-Lee (Too Marvelous For Words)           Recorded in Toronto 1952

QUARTET LIVE AT CONFUCIUS RESTAURANT [GAMBIT]

Lennie-Bird (How High The Moon)

CONTINUITY [JAZZ RECORDS]

317 East 32nd (Out of Nowhere)

RALPH BURNS (Lee Konitz)

FREE FORMS [VERVE]

Lillith

CANADIAN CONTENT: 3 of 26

LEN DOBBIN

271 EMPIRE STREET

GREENFIELD PARK, QUEBEC

J4V 1V1

CANADA

(Please note that:

MATERIAL MEANT FOR THE DOROTHEE BERRYMAN SHOWS ON ESPACE MUSIQUE CAN BE SENT TO THE SAME ADDRESS, AS I'M HER RESEARCHER.)

DOBBIN'S DEN

BACKGROUND TO EDITION 648

On today's show we present part two of our salute to LEE KONITZ who was born 80 years ago, October 13th, 1927.
Produced and hosted by Len Dobbin
11am - 1pm   CKUT 90.3 fm
www.ckut.ca    [and archived at that address]
Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
October 21, 2007

LEE KONITZ

10TH CHARLIE PARKER MEMORIAL CONCERT [LIMELGHT]

Blues for Bird (alto sax solo piece)

IN PARIS [VOGUE]

I'll Remember April (aka "Lost Henri")

MOTION [VERVE]

Foolin' Myself

INSIDE HI-FI [KOCH]

Kary's Trance (Play Fiddle Play)

RHAPSODY [EVIDENCE]

I Hear A Rhapsody (Helen Merrill)

RHAPSODY II [EVIDENCE]

Round and Round and Round (Judy Niemack)

You Don't Know What Love Is (Sheila Jordan)

OUT OF NOWHERE [STEEPLECHASE]

I Can't Get Started (Paul Bley)

TENORLEE [CHOICE / CANDID]

Autumn Nocturne (Jimmy Rowles)

SOUND OF SURPRISE [RCA VICTOR]

Thingin' (All The Things You Are)  (Ted Brown)

WARNE MARSH - LEE KONITZ

QUINTET VOL. 3 [STORYVILLE]

Chi Chi

METRONOME ALL-STARS (Lee Konitz)

THE BEBOP ERA [COLUMBIA]

No Figs (Indiana)

FRANCOIS THERBERGE (Lee Konitz)

MUSIC OF KONITZ [EFFENDI]

*Dream Stepper  (You Stepped Out Of A Dream)

LENNIE TRISTANO (Lee Konitz)

LIVE IN TORONTO 1952

*Back Home (Indiana)

NAT SU   (an altoman from the Cameroon)