[JPL] Paris

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Thu Oct 11 18:48:54 EDT 2007

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> On my big band show this Sunday (Best Coast Jazz wfpk.org) we're into
> our fund raiser and a Paris vacation is one of our give aways.  Our
> CEO is on air with me and wants a Paris theme.  Besides Basie's April
> in Paris, are there any big band cuts that come to mind?  Thanks for
> the help. John

John,

My favorite, although not Big Band, is the (7:16 long) 1954 version of Bud
Powell's "Parisian Thoroughfare" by Clifford Brown/Max Roach. Lots of
French traffic sounds and a long quote from La Marseillaise and some from
An American In Paris. Nice touch that Bud lived in Paris at the time he
wrote it.

More recent is vocalist Henri Salvador's CD "Room With A View" on Blue
Note. The 1st track "Jazz Silver Moonlight" drips with atmosphere. Tres
jolie.

Merci,

Georges

Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas