[JPL] Still Another Jazz Show Oct 8

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 01:43:03 EDT 2007

STILL ANOTHER JAZZ SHOW  Oct 8
CHRIS WALDEN BIG BAND & ST. JOHNS CHOIR   KURT MARTI
SUITE  “1 thru1”   Origin Records
ROBERTO FONSECA   “Misa Poplar” “Tierra En Mano”
“Clandistino” ZAMAZU
Justin Time Records/Enja Records
ALEX WEBER MORALES   “The Goddess Of War”
VAGABUNDEO  Patois Records
VICTOR GOINES    “Love Dance”  LOVE DANCE   Criss
Cross Jazz
MARTY ERHLICH & MYRA MELFORD   “Hymn” “I See A
Horizon” “For Leroy”
SPARK!   Palmetto Records
JOHN COLTRANE  INTERPLAY  BOXED SET SAMPLER  “Tenor
Conclave”
Prestige Records
LOUIS ARMSTRONG   LIVE AT THE 1958 MONTEREY JAZZ
FESTIVAL
Monterey Jazz Festivals Records
CHRIS WALDEN BIG BAND & THE ST. JOHN'S CHOIR begin
this edition of SAJS with the dynamic CHRIS MARTI
SUITE. We devoted the first segment to this
interesting piece and played selections one through
eleven. “Hotel Jesus” features the talented tenor
saxophonist Brandon Fields.  This solo is brief and
spectacular. An indicator of some more to come from
this young man.
Kurt Marti worked as a priest in Switzerland. He was
highly regarded as a contemporary  writer in Europe,
incorporating  Swiss dialect poetry into the world
language of verse. Walden's arrangements elevate
Marti's work to an even higher level.
Cuban pianist ROBERTO FONSECA begins the second
segment as Mercedes Cortes Alfaro sings the spiritual
opening “Misa Popular,”  then “Tierra En Mano” and the
very seductive “Clandistino.” Roberto Fonseca blends
elements of American Jazz with Cuban music,
“Guajiras.” He's contemporary and yet honors his
traditional heritage with fond memories of great Cuban
artists, such as  Ibrahim Ferrer.
ALEXA WEBER MORALES is next with an original “The
Goddess Of War” from her new VAGABUNDEO/WANDERINGS.
Morales statement on this may be the lust for war, as
greed, consumes everything else, self destructive in a
way. Could be us she's talking about. The arrangement
is up tempo and powerful Latin Afro/Funk.
New Orleans reed player VICTOR GOINES plays it slow
and nice on clarinet “Love Dance,” closing this
segment. This one of the best renditions of this song
with  Peter Martin, piano. Rueben Rogers, bass and
Greg Hutcherson on drums.  They have spiritual as well
as human connections to New Orleans. There's
remarkable sensitivity in this town from what they've
went through and it seems apparent in their music.
It's always been there and we haven't listen close
enough. Now we are.
MARTY EHRLICH & MYRA MELFORD  begin the second hour of
SAJS with selections form their new cd, SPARK!   Marty
Ehrlich has always been an intriguing  stylist with
his daring and commitment. Myra Melford is new to this
reporter's ears, as there are many that go unnoticed
Internationally. She had remarkable command and
composure as a pianist and writer.  Her playing on“A
Generation Comes and Another One Goes,” is
breathtaking in spirit and strength, by the very
manner she strokes the keys. Born in Illinois, grew up
in Chicago, Myra Melford is well versed in the blues,
as she plays it so well, seasoning her compositions
with it.
Duets challenge each musician to listen and trust one
another.
We played “Hymn,” “I See A Horizon” and “For Leroy,” a
gospel refrain.
We concluded this segment with “Tenor Conclave” from
the JOHN COLTRANE BOXED SET SAMPLER:  INTERPLAY.
“Tenor Conclave,” written by Hank Mobley and performed
by  tenor players, John Coltrane, Hank Mobley, Al Cohn
and Zoot Sims with pianist Hank Garland, Paul
Chambers, bass,  and Art Taylor, drums. This is a jam
session where each player tries to out do the other.
There was competition in the late fifties. Consider
John Coltrane and Sonny Rollins.
Check out the great bass line of Paul Chambers on this
selection.
LOUIS ARMSTRONG  begins the last segment with his
opening live performance at the first Monterey Jazz
Festival in 1958. It's titled LIVE AT THE 1958
MONTEREY JAZZ FESTIVAL.  This is a classic cd. Not
only is the sound excellent quality, the band is right
there all the way. Right from the introduction by
Dizzy Gillespie, you know this is a happening. In
fact, although I was not there, I must qualify my
comments to my ears only, the joy on this could be
Pops love for the plants in 'da nature da things,' as
our esteemed governor might say.
This whole performance is a gem! That's why we had to
play dem all as time permits....
Born in Story ville in 1901, Louis Armstrong went on
to be the jazz icon of the 20th century. “Now You Has
Jazz” explains it all with Louis Armstrong and
trombonist TrummyYoung singing the lyrics  and it's
why New Orleans will live on. And, Louis Armstrong
will be remembered for generations to come for one
song, “What A Wonderful World.”
Everybody loves that song!
Dick Crockett
STILL ANOTHER JAZZ SHOW