[JPL] MP3s on the air?

KZSU Jazz jazz at kzsu.stanford.edu
Sat Oct 13 23:03:48 EDT 2007

Personally, I don't think MP3s sound good at any but the highest
bitrates, like 320kbps. I can't really put my finger on it, but
there's something about the way MP3 encoding handles drums and cymbals
that just drives me nuts.

AAC (the iTunes download format) is much better, but even there I feel
like 192 is the minimum. And if I put on a good pair of headphones,
even that sounds flat to me.

That said, I do play some digital files now. Nobody has complained,
and they don't sound all that different on the studio speakers. My
guess is that under "normal" radio listening conditions few people
will really notice the difference as long as you're at 192 or higher.
But I worry about headphone listeners, and especially folks on the web
stream (compressed music re-compressed? I shudder to think of it).

I agree with Tom that downloads look like the radio servicing method
of the future. I just hope it becomes feasible to provide files in a
lossless format, at least as an option for us snobs ;-)

Cheers,

[FB]

Forrest Dylan Bryant
-----