[JPL] fundraiser CDS

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 08:43:36 EDT 2007

For our Saturday morning program we usually pick something mainstream
and historical: Brubeck's Time Out; The World of Nat Cole; Best of
Tatum's Group Masterpieces; Dizzy and Bird at Town Hall, etc. We
generally pay for those at cost, as the list gets long. Though we
haven't pinned it down for this Saturday we're leaning towards the
Benny Goodman double CD on Legacy which was recently issued.

In the evening we're fortunate -- because of the record labels -- to
feature new releases. Last drive the Jimmy Heath Big Band, and on
previous drives music of Keith Jarrett, Diana Krall, Fred Hersch etc.

Next week we'll be offering Herbie Hancock's new disc, music of Freddy
Cole, and others, because of the generosity of the record industry.

When our back was against the wall two years ago and the phones just
weren't ringing at night, I threw in the towel and got a hold of a
Best of Harry James collection on Capital (right after having featured
one of his biographers in a long music and interview program on Tommy
Dorsey) and they went like crazy. Of course it wasn't as much about
improv, though there were good solos by Harry, swinging arrangements
in the Count Basie mold, and some hot Buddy Rich on drums, but it
leaned towards nostalgia.  We needed the money and watching the phones
ring during classical music and silence at night during jazz was just
too much. So hang your toes over the edge of the stage and give 'em
the ol' Harry James.

Of course this is Michigan.