[JPL] 2008 Savannah Jazz Festival

Bobby Jackson ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 16 10:41:38 EDT 2007

Hi Larry,

They're not from the south but the music they play is an amazing synthesis of jazz, rap and spoken word poetry.  The band leader's name is Bill Ransom, a drummer/percussionist.  You may be familiar with his recording "Generations."  During Tri-C Jazz Fest here in Cleveland he does a show called Hip-Hop Meets Jazz.  This year was his fifth year presenting it.  The show is the most exciting show I've seen in years.  This year he featured his band (Cleveland based) of 2 keys, tenor sax, trumpet, acoustic bass, a rapper (Q-Nice), spoken word artist Sekou Sundiata (passed away in August.  I believe they are negotiating with poet Nikki Giovanni) and  turntabalist Rob Swift (works with Bob James and Herbie Hancock).  The tunes they covered included Kenny Garrett's "Happy People,"  John Patitucci's "Backwoods", Tony Willams "Sister Cheryl" and Wynton Marsalis' "Black Codes."  Their encore was a version of James Brown's "Talkin Loud and Sayin Nothin."  The results were nothing less than spectacular!!!!  The energy on the bandstand was electric!

Tell Rob Gibson about them.  You may not be able to use him for 2008 but his act is one not to be missed. It is different and it is vital.  Ransom's phone number is 216.905.3937.  Call him just to have a conversation about the music.  I think you'll find it intriguing.  Hope all is well with you Larry.

Bobby Jackson