[JPL] Regina Carter to teach at OU

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Wed Oct 17 11:11:33 EDT 2007

Renowned jazz violinist to teach at OU

October 15, 2007

By MANDY BURTON

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Internationally known jazz violinist Regina Carter will be an
artist-in-residence at Oakland University’s Department of Music, Theatre
and Dance.

Carter plans to spend two weeks on campus during each school year
teaching masters classes. She will also work with students and faculty.

"This is truly a partnership," said Jackie Wiggins, chair of the
department. "Regina is interested in learning more about how music
affects our lives and wellbeing, and we are excited to explore that with
her. It’s a pretty up-and-coming field of study."

Carter, a native of Detroit, studied at the Center for Creative Studies
and the New England Conservatory before transferring to Oakland. The
transfer was necessary because Carter planned to play jazz on the
violin, which is generally seen as a classical instrument.

"She’s our alum with the most renown," Wiggins said. "She’s been out
there long enough to accomplish some great things."

At OU, Carter became the first student to play violin with the jazz
band, according to a news release. She graduated from the university in
1985.

"She has a passion for this area, a passion for seeing things become the
best they can be in this region," Wiggins said.

Faculty at Oakland said that Carter’s commitment to innovation and
creativity sets her apart.

"Her improv skills and some of the directions she has taken in her music
are original," Wiggins said. "They’re even quite profound."

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations