[JPL] pledge drive "programs" policy

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Wed Oct 17 13:12:47 EDT 2007

Lazaro Vega wrote <<<  It's been the philosophy of management here that
people contribute to  the radio station as an entity, the sum of individual
programs. They put  the nix on program's "competing" with each other during
the funder and  promote the station over any other agenda. >>>

That's an excellent policy, the same we embrace. With the exception of a
Saturday nights-asst's blues and RnB specialty shows and our Sunday morning
and afternoon specialty shows we are a jazz station and always creative
music intensive, no talk, news, public affairs or classical.

We don't allow competition among shift hosts, naturally off the air there's
always the I want to do better than so and so, but on the air it's not
permitted nor do we want any negativity on the air despite a slow hour.
During the current Rockies run we didn't allow our hosts or their pitch
partner to say anyhting negative about listeners watching baseball instead
of pledgeing. Curiously some of our better hours were during the evening
ball games, we used baseball metaphors as pledge raps.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director, jazz89KUVO
The Oasis In The City
Colorado's First HD FM Radio Station
2006 & 2005 Jazz Station of the Year!!

PS David Amram is one heck of a gifted performer, he bounced aronud out
Oasis Performance studio playing french horn, hand percussion, asst'd
whistles, piano, singing and topped it all off with an off the top of his
head, Denver-Kerouac style beat poetry turned into a pledge pitch that had
the phones ringing off the hook.