[JPL] NYC Jazz next week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Oct 18 08:44:18 EDT 2007

We’re focusing on New York Jazz and New Yorkers who make it…next week on Beyond Jazz!  Join us and spread the word!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
XM Satellite Radio
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com
 XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (22-28 October 2006)
 This Monday, October 22nd, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of one of the most versatile and beloved musicians in jazz history, HERBIE MANN! Born in New York and influenced by music from all over the world, HERBIE MANN established himself as a major figure in the jazz by incorporating everything from bebop, to Brazilian, to funk and fusion and much more. We’ll cover every facet of his dynamic work and play a full hour of his music.  Plus we’ll hear Herbie’s own comments that shed light on his brilliant career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at a new, earlier time of  9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we feature an hour of the music of HERBIE MANN.
 This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino ...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week Michelle presents a show that features a little organ groove from Jimmy Smith, Larry Goldings and Dr. Lonnie Smith, a little blues from Russell Gunn, a little soul from Don Byron and a whole bunch more!
This Wednesday and Sunday, join us for some NEW YORK CLUB HOPPIN’ on LIVE @ BJ'S ! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll take you to some of the world’s most famous clubs in New York City for red hot performances by Marcus Miller @ BB King’s, The Yellowjackets @ Iridium, Michel Camilo @ The Blue Note, Michael Wolff & Impure Thoughts @ Jazz Standard, Groove Collective @ Joe’s Pub, Randy Brecker @ Sweet Basil, Jeremy Pelt @ Smoke and Marco Benevento @ Tonic.  We’re gonna go NEW YORK CLUB HOPPIN’ on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S and you’re invited to come along!
 IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece and get the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!
 This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN” as  award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT , Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark revisits his trip this Summer on the North Sea Jazz Cruise and gives us the U.S. Premier of the new CD “Free” from Native New Yorker Marcus Miller as part of our celebration of New York MOJA this week.
 From the department of “If you can make it there, you’ll make it anywhere” comes this week’s edition WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ. Everyone knows that thousands of musicians with talent and big league jazz dreams have made their way to New York City to follow their star and stand beside the best to see how they stack up. Well this Saturday, October 27th , we'll talk to seven of the greatest players in MOJA, all of whom have the built-in advantage of having been born in one of the 5 Boroughs of NYC on a special presentation titled NATIVE NEW YORKERS!  Join Russ Davis as he talks to Herbie Mann, Marcus Miller, Bobby McFerrin, Lenny White, Dave Valentin, Janis Siegel and Jay Beckenstein of Spyro Gyra and find out how those born on the streets of New York have contributed to jazz history. Interview segments followed by music begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It's NATIVE NEW YORKERS, this week’s WORDS & MUSIC, Saturday from BEYOND JAZZ.
 Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email mes sages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.