[JPL] Akbank Jazz Fest

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Thu Oct 18 10:59:22 EDT 2007

    Akbank Jazz Festival starts its 17th edition in full swing
American jazz singer Mark Murphy, the six-time Grammy nominee vocalist
who has released more than 40 albums over a career that spans four
decades, opened this year's Akbank Jazz Festival on Tuesday night with a
performance at I.stanbul's historic Hagia Eirene Museum. Murphy, who
replaced Italian-American jazz musician John Pizzarelli at the last
minute after Pizzarelli was taken ill, kicked off two weeks of jazz that
will feature 35 concerts on 30 stages around I.stanbul.
The festival's biggest surprise has been the 70-year-old American jazz
saxophonist, Archie Shepp. The musician is a prolific artist best known
for his passionately afrocentric music of the late 1960s, which focused
on highlighting the injustices faced by African-Americans.

The Albuquerque, New Mexico-based duo, A Hawk and A Hacksaw, consisting
of percussionist Jeremy Barnes and violinist Heather Trost, and known
for their style that is inspired from eastern European traditions, was
slated for a performance Wednesday night at the Babylon club, another
venue of the festival.

Tonight the festival, which is in its 17th year, will feature a concert
by the Nostalgia 77 octet at the Babylon club, featuring songs from
their latest album, "Everything Under the Sun." Another concert
scheduled for tonight will take place at the Q Jazz Bar, featuring jazz
pianist and composer Selen Gülün with a surprise repertoire.

The Japanese band, Soil & Pimp Sessions, French contrabass virtuoso and
composer Renaud Garcia-Fons and his trio, and the Moscow Art Trio are
among the significant performers in the festival's lineup, in addition
to world-renowned musicians such as the Archie Shepp Quartet, the Phil
Woods Quintet and the Nublu Orchestra. Turkish musicians who will take
to the stage include the internationally acclaimed Kerem Görsev, I.lhan
Ers,ahin, Ayhan Sicimog(lu and Sarp Maden, among others.

The festival, which runs through Nov. 1, will feature more than 130 jazz
musicians. It will also travel to Ankara and I.zmir for special
performances. The slogan of this year's festival is "On Every Corner,"
highlighting its expanded lineup, which also covers the addition of new
venues such as the Q Jazz by Les Ottomans Club, the Kemer Country Club
and the Garajistanbul performing arts venue. The Akbank Art Center in
I.stanbul's Beyog(lu district will be hosting the festival's side
events, which include workshops and seminars. The I.zmir concerts will
take place at the Ege University Atatürk Culture Center while the Ankara
leg of the festival will go on at the Education Ministry (MEB) Assembly
Hall and the Akbank Art Center.

18.10.2007

Today's Zaman  I.stanbul

--