[JPL] Kareem trivia questions/Kenny Kirkland

OntheBeach at aol.com OntheBeach at aol.com
Sun Oct 21 14:44:27 EDT 2007

kenny kirkland, interesting question <great artist, sweet cat>

i was already well into the process of signing kenny to impulse! when kareem
expressed

interest in kenny.

had cranberry taken shape, kenny probably would have been released on
cranberry

[it was all under the mca jazz umbrella, so it didnt matter that
much--although kenny was

understandably excited about being a part of the revived impulse! imprint]

branford and i practically had to conspire to get the reclusive,
self-effacing kenny into the

studio to do his own album--sadly the only true solo recording he did.
[imagine the great

kenny kirkland repeatedly expressing his thanks for "getting a shot"!!!, we
were so thrilled

to have him on the label].  the album was nearly finished when management
changed

and it was decided to fold mca jazz east into grp [who i had signed for
distribution].

thankfully delpheayo marsalis oversaw the remaining business to complete and
have the

album released [albeit on grp].  we miss you KK!

ricky schultz
jazz consultant