[JPL] Manhattan School Of Music Marks 90th Anniversary

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 24 09:00:05 EDT 2007

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=8&aid=74846

Manhattan School Of Music Marks 90th Anniversary
October 23, 2007

The Manhattan School of Music in Morningside Heights ­ the largest private
conservatory in the nation offering training in both classical and jazz
music ­ is celebrating 90 years of music education. NY1¹s Roger Clark filed
the following report.

Daniel Khalikov and Bela Horvath are doing what they do best: playing the
violin. The two are honing their skills at the Manhattan School of Music.

"I am fortunate to be surrounded by great teachers and great students from
all over the world,² says Khalikov.

"It has been a wonderful experience, and I think it's like a nice, big
journey,² says Horvath.

The school has taken a 90-year journey from community music school on the
Upper East Side to the country's largest private conservatory offering both
classical and jazz training. It moved to Morningside Heights in the 1960s.

One of the more than 800 students is Norman Edwards, who can really beat
those skins, but he says he has learned more than just keeping a beat here.

"[I¹ve learned to] pay attention to detail, most definitely. Always
articulate your thoughts, whether it be the drum set, whether it be the
teaching, whether it be the composition, always pay attention to detail ­
that's important,² says Edwards.

Now that the Manhattan School of Music is celebrating 90 years in existence,
the next step is to look to the future and come up with new and innovative
ways to teach music.

Robert Sirota, a composer in his own right, is president of the school.

"Audiences are shifting, concert venues aren't the same as they used to be,
and we're looking at ways of creating musician entrepreneurs who will
re-invent the profession for the future,² says Sirota.

Meanwhile, the school can look back on its past its and more than 10,000
alumni, including notables like Harry Connick Junior and Herbie Hancock.

"What's really nice is that we¹ve been in a position where we have changed
lives, where we¹ve given people with outstanding talent a chance, because we
believed in them as people and we believed in them as budding artists,² said
Jazz Department Assistant Dean Justin DiCioccio.

To celebrate its anniversary, the school will present more than 400 public
performances over the next 18 months featuring students, faculty and guests
artists. The school will pay tribute to the music of, where else, Manhattan.

For more information on the school and upcoming events, log on to
www.msmnyc.edu.

- Roger Clark