[JPL] Clearwater gears up for Jazz Holiday

richard gangi straightwithchaser at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 25 18:04:13 EDT 2007

i went on saturday...

good weather, great music, and free -

i caught "Michael Ross Quartet" and Brian
  Bromberg’s "Downright Upright Band " -

both were scorthing - and the real surprise was Michael Ross band - local to the Tampa area, this band has a real NY sound...if my eyes were closed i would have though mike brecker, and steve kahn were on stage...

bromberg released a great cd this year...star studded - but the stage renditions were even hotter...
randy brecker was smoking - he is sparkling...

mitch forman and meeks were so pumped up - and playing like this was there last performance on the planet...giving the music and the audience a real treatment....

dave weckyl is perfect for these tunes...lots of energy and a real contemporary sound...i saw him with chicks electric band in NYC twice in two weeks and knew he was gonna make a dent in the scene....

p.s. - i am proud to say that i have made WFIT history - i was the firstlive show on the air since the flood...we are in temporary digs...with unpredictable gear..and no library - but we are live again...and i love it....i will be building a list of cd's needing replacement - and asking for help...thanks - ahead of time....

Regards,
Rich Gangi

Director of Jazz Programming
and Host of "Straight with Chaser"