[JPL] Jazz Improv Convention

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Mon Oct 29 11:50:41 EDT 2007

I was at the Jazz Improv Convention this weekend for a little while. I
attended sessions there on Friday but I had to leave Saturday morning.

I didn't get to attend as many of the panels and discussions as I would
like to have attended. I was on 1 panel on Friday with Tom Mallison, Ed
Trefzger and Brad Stone as moderator. We were supposed to bring 5 CDs
with us and be prepared to talk about why we decided to program them.
The panel started late because there was no CD player in the room. I
also think it should have been longer than 60 minutes, perhaps 90 mins
or 2 hours.

I did attend an interesting session on Duke Ellington. The panel
featured Dan Morganstern, Ira Gitler and Loren Schoenberg. What I heard
was mostly about early Ellington but it was very informative.

Charles Davis, Randy Weston and Dizzy Reece were on a panel, reflecting
on the life of Clifford Jordan. These guys all had great stories to tell.

I also did a one on one interview with Frank Wess in one session. I had
never met Frank before but I think the session went very well. I hope
the people who attended felt the same way.

Some other radio people I saw in attendance were Steve Schwartz, Derrick
Lucas, Tom Reney, B.H. Hudson and I'm sure there were others whose names
escape me right now. JPL member Ed Bride was also there.

Record folks that I saw included Kate Smith, Al Julian, Mike Herzon, Joe
Fields, Michael Cuscuna, Bret Sjerven, Chris DiGirolomo, and Ann
Braithwaite.

There were a number of artists there.

I enjoyed hearing Avery Sharpe and his trio with Onaje Allen Gumbs and
Winard Harper. Geri Allen did a nice set with a trio plus a tap dancer.
Mark Elf performed with his working trio. I've known Mark for years and
I've interviewed him several times but I'd never heard him live. It was
announced that McCoy would be playing with Jack DeJohnette and Stanley
Clarke. They were joined by Gary Bartz. Jimmy Heath's Big Band did a
wonderful set mostly featuring his compositions.

Unlike at IAJE nothing was overcrowed that I saw. That meant that you
could attend any session you wanted to. That's nice because you can get
closed out of sessions at IAJE.

I did enjoy the convention and the usual interaction with all the folks
you meet at these conventions. I wish I could have stayed longer. I
didn't like the New Yorker Hotel and to me a lot of the restaurants in
the area look like greasy spoons. I like the area better where the IAJE is.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz