[JPL] Highlights of the Detroit Jazz Festival

Bradley M. Stone bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Thu Sep 6 19:59:17 EDT 2007

First of all, my sincerest thanks to Dr. Jazz for making the trip to Detroit for the Jazz Festival possible (as this year's grand prize winner).  Overall it was really terrific, and I now understand why this Festival is considered one of, if not THE, premiere festivals in the country.

Here are my Top 10 highlights:

10.  Clayton-Hamilton Orchestra.  One of, if not THE, premiere big bands in the world.  With Snooky Young!

9.  The overall organization of the Festival, with its emphasis on JAZZ!

8.  Brunch at Seldom Blues, truly was breakfast AND lunch....

7.  Sean Jones.  Blowin'.

6.  Greektown for gyros - best I've had since my days growing up in Chicago - it's hard to get a REAL gyros in CA.... And the saganaki was terrific too, right L.Y.?

5.  Detroit the City - beautiful riverfront, clean downtown, great hospitality, friendly people.  I was genuinely impressed.

4.  Gene Ludwig, Philadelphia-style B-3 cutting contest!

3.  Kurt Elling, singing with the Wayne State Orchestra.  I thought it was cool for Kurt to do this gig with the University band.

2.  Brubeck Brothers.  Great performance, and nod to Dave in the audience....

1. .... Which leads to meeting Dave Brubeck, and (finally) getting to see him perform live.  He is one of the artists that influenced my love for jazz at an early age.

.... And of course the usual great hang with members of the jazz family: Bobby Jackson and family, Linda Yohn, Denny and Rachel Stillwell, Dr. Jazz, Denis Naranjo, Tony Mowad, Dwayne Brashears and the WWOZ staff.  Wonderful to meet new friends, like Robert Scott, Dr.'s brother Rick, and many others.  I'm already thinking about going back next year!

Aloha,

Brad

Dr. Brad Stone, Faculty Advisor
Music Director; Jazz, Blues and World
KSJS-FM
San Jose State University
San Jose, CA   95192-0094

Home Office:
9381 Durango Lane, Gilroy, CA  95020
408-848-6266
bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Music Calls: Weds., 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., PT